STATEMENT: CAP’s Liz Kennedy on President Trump’s Call for Voter Fraud Investigation
Washington, D.C. — President Donald Trump announced today that he intends to seek “a major investigation” into voter fraud during the 2016 presidential election. Liz Kennedy, Director of Democracy and Government Reform at the Center for American Progress, issued the following statement on the matter:
The real attack on the integrity of America’s elections came from Russia and from politicians making it harder for people of color, young people, and low-income people to vote. Yet instead of responding to that threat to national sovereignty, President Trump continues his pattern of distraction and division, repeating baseless slander and calling for a witch hunt against his fellow Americans. The toxic myth of voter fraud is used as an excuse for voter suppression, which keeps hundreds of thousands of American citizens from exercising their power at the polls. If Donald Trump cared about the integrity of America’s elections, he would urge his fellow elected Republican leaders in states such as North Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin, Kansas and at the federal level to stop their assault on voting rights and immediately call for a full investigation into the revelations of Russian interference in America’s elections with an independent bipartisan select committee.
CAP experts are available to speak on this topic. For more information or to request an interview, please contact Tanya Arditi at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.741.6258.
- Voter Fraud Isn’t Real—But Voter Suppression Is a Grave Danger by Liz Kennedy and Danielle Root
- Voter Suppression Laws Cost Americans Their Voices at the Polls by Liz Kennedy
- Voter Suppression Is Real: Americans Must Remain Vigilant by Danyelle Solomon and Michele J. Jawando
- Drain the Swamp: Conflicts of Interest, Lobbying, and Corruption Solutions to Restore Trust in Government that Works for all Americans by Liz Kennedy
- Trump’s Dangerous, Unprecedented, and Unconstitutional Conflicts of Interest by Liz Kennedy
- A Threat to U.S. Democracy: Congress Must Investigate Allegations of Russian Hacks by Ken Gude
- Redistricting and Representation: Drawing Fair Election Districts Instead of Manipulated Maps by Liz Kennedy, Billy Corriher, and Danielle Root
- Americans Demand Democracy at the Polls by Liz Kennedy and Danielle Root