Social Media Strategist/Senior Social Media Strategist, Digital Advocacy
Senior Director, Digital Engagement
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $61,000/$68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Social Media Strategist or Senior Social Media Strategist to join the Digital Advocacy team. Strong applicants for this position are highly organized and detail oriented with strong writing and communications skills. American Progress is looking to hire someone who can do a lot more than copy and paste talking points into tweets and Facebook posts. This person should be excited by the challenge of producing engaging, compelling social content that helps advance the organization’s goals and meet target audiences where they are in terms of tone, substance, and platform. This role will manage the Digital Advocacy team’s work on Facebook, with a focus on both growing and engaging progressive audiences and many of the largest progressive pages on that platform in particular.
Qualified candidates should be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, where they’ll need to multitask, set priorities, and quickly produce engaging content. Political acumen, sensitivity to the complexities of policy issues, and the ability to engage with communications and policy experts are musts.
This is a full-time position funded for one year, with the opportunity for extensions.
- Manage, draft, and produce content for CAP Action’s social media channels, with a particular focus on Facebook.
- Develop and implement social growth and engagement strategies for both planned campaigns and rapid-response moments.
- Monitor social discovery tools and stay attuned to current events in order to identify strategic engagement opportunities.
- Connect trending content with meaningful opportunities to take action and drive strategic messaging priorities.
- Work directly with the Digital Advocacy creative team to pitch and produce social graphics and video content.
- Identify and share performance insights to inform American Progress’ engagement strategies.
- Actively participate in and contribute ideas to team brainstorms and planning meetings.
- Help monitor and manage relationships with progressive social influencers to amplify CAP Action content.
- Manage a community of progressive content organizers via Facebook groups to amplify key grassroots messaging.
- Think outside the box when it comes to connecting trends on Facebook to American Progress’ strategic messaging priorities.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience for the Social Media Strategist role, and at least five years of experience for the Senior Social Media Strategist position. Relevant experience would be work in social media or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- A track record of running successful social media campaigns—including on Facebook.
- A strong understanding of internet and meme culture and how to apply those findings to the Digital Advocacy team’s work.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools.
- Experience using social media to drive meaningful online and offline actions.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Experience in digital organizing and/or managing online volunteers is preferred.
- Open to developing new skills and experimenting with new strategies and tactics.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Social Media Strategist position has a minimum salary of $61,000, and the Senior Social Media Strategist has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.