Major Gifts Officer
Senior Director, Development, Individual and Corporate Giving
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $75,000
American Progress seeks an experienced front-line political or nonprofit fundraiser who is a self-starter with strong communications skills and the ability to manage competing priorities to join the growing Development team as Major Gifts Officer. This individual will pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for major gifts and corporate fundraising. Reporting to the Senior Director for Individual and Corporate Giving, the Major Gifts Officer will also work with executive and senior American Progress staff. They will own a robust fundraising portfolio as part of a team raising $22 million in year 1. This position has a budgeted salary of $85,000.
This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized fundraising professional who is a quick learner and excels at both working independently and collaboratively, depending on what is needed. The successful candidate is committed to American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” This position is focused on raising unrestricted support to advance the organization’s five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
As part of the overall Development Department, the Individual and Corporate Giving team works with staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, to make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing research to identify funding opportunities; collaborate on strategies for approaching prospects; and track all activity and deadlines.
- Manage a portfolio of 125 active and prospective major donors up to $100K. This includes building relationships to secure and manage salon events, writing proposals, conducting donor meetings and briefings, briefing Executive staff for high-level meetings, managing timely and accurate benefits delivery, and completing other routine front-line fundraising activities for largely unrestricted revenue.
- Support the Senior Director of Development in managing the Business Alliance as an opportunity for member companies to have a seat at the table for progressive policy conversations and serve as a resource to inform American Progress’ work. This includes coordinating member briefings with policy staff, virtual or in-person roundtable events, and other stewardship and benefits delivery.
- Support the Senior Director in developing and executing a plan for prospecting and major donor outreach throughout the country.
- Partner with American Progress program staff to cultivate relationships with both active and prospective donors, staying nimble and current on program and policy messaging as priorities and urgencies change.
- Develop a strong fluency in American Progress’ mission and five cross-cutting priorities, which are supported by six departments and 19 policy teams.
- Maintain timely and accurate records in Salesforce to ensure quality reporting and transparency throughout the team.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed to move forward American Progress’ individual giving portfolio.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least three to four years of demonstrated front-line success in major donor fundraising, securing $50K+ gifts from individual donors, managing the donor lifespan from prospecting and discovery to gifts and renewal to ongoing stewardship.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and renewing major gifts by articulating a compelling case for support through multiple communication tools, including but not limited to written proposals, reports, budget documents, and verbal and visual presentations.
- Demonstrated success in supporting projects including salon events, fundraising campaigns, or other timeline-based events. Ability to nimbly manage both online and in-person events.
- Demonstrated success engaging others in fundraising strategies and tactics, inspiring fundraising enthusiasm and understanding throughout all levels of the organization or campaign.
- Excellent work quality is required, including attention to detail, consistently accurate and error-free work, strong writing, and proficiency in upward management.
- Willingness to anticipate the unexpected and the agility to adjust when the winds change.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment, delivering quality work on deadline.
- Ability to work both independently, seeking solutions and being truly entrepreneurial, and as a member of a team, building consensus and vision.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other fundraising CRM(s) is required.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
- Familiarity with progressive political donor networks and strategies and political fundraising experience are a big plus.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines and manage workflow.
- Support for American Progress’ mission and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
- 20 to 30 percent of the role may include travel.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is not represented by a union and has an approximate salary threshold of $75,000 to $85,000. Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.