Read more articles from the "It’s Easy Being Green" series
Halloween is right around the corner and many of us have a pumpkin to carve. But decorative jack-o’-lanterns are just one of a pumpkin’s many uses.
Below are seven other ways to get creative with your pumpkin. (You’ll notice that a lot of these recipes and tips call for canned pumpkin puree. To make the pumpkin puree yourself follow this easy how-to guide.)
1. Vegan pumpkin pecan pie. Pumpkin pie is a Halloween and Thanksgiving staple across the country. And pecan pie is pretty popular in general. So why not combine the two? This recipe makes a tasty vegan pumpkin pecan pie that’s sure to put a smile on your face even during the scary holiday.
2. Chocolate pumpkin bundt cake. This recipe for the delicious cake replaces most of the fat with pumpkin puree.
3. Pumpkin biscuits. Biscuits are always a great start to the day, and using pumpkin can make them taste even better. This recipe shows how simple it is to make pumpkin biscuits, as you likely already have all the ingredients. Pumpkin biscuits are also great around the Thanksgiving holidays.
4. Harvest pumpkin soup. Here’s yet another great item to add to the table. Harvest pumpkin soup combines pumpkin with leeks, apples, and apple cider for a warm treat that’s also good for you.
5. Honey pumpkin exfoliating mask. Exfoliation—removing the oldest dead skin cells that cling to the skin’s outermost surface—is important for your health. This exfoliating mask formula makes good use of pumpkin and honey, which “attracts and retains moisture, helping to prevent dry skin and dull, lifeless hair,” and also serves as an antiseptic.
6. Pumpkin body butter. Here’s another way you can use pumpkin to take care of your body. Pumpkin body butter moisturizes and nourishes your skin as pumpkin puree offers “results similar to gentle alpha-hydroxy action: It removes dead dull cells, while its beta-carotene-rich antioxidants nourish your skin.”
7. Fresh-pumpkin air freshener. Most store-bought air fresheners release toxic chemicals into the air upon use. Here are easy instructions on how to use a pumpkin to naturally freshen the air around you.
As you can see, a pumpkin can be much more than a doorstep decoration. So before you carve up your pumpkin and toss all the extra stuff consider these seven tips and put that stuff to good use!
For more ways to have a green Halloween, please see: