RELEASE: New CAP Report Calls for Anti-Displacement Policies To Combat Gentrification and the Lack of Affordable Housing
Washington, D.C. — The Biden Administration has a historic opportunity to invest in underserved communities thanks to the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, the Inflation Reduction Act, and the Justice40 Initiative.
Yet too often over the course of history, investment in underserved communities has led to displacement—the forced or involuntary relocation of residents—and has disproportionately affected people of color.
A new report released today by the Center for American Progress looks at current anti-displacement policies and calls for federal, state, and local policymakers to ensure that these new investments are implemented in ways that mitigate displacement.
“The consequences of displacement are severe. Forcing long-term residents and communities out of their own neighborhoods can undermine their economic stability and force them to live farther from jobs, health care, schools, and longtime friends,” said Justin Dorazio, a research associate for Racial Equity and Justice at CAP and author of the report. “Enacting local measures that protect residents from displacement will be crucial to these investments being a success.”
The report outlines five major policy priorities to consider:
- Foster inclusive development, including access to high-quality job opportunities and training for existing residents.
- Stabilize and anchor the communities that are most vulnerable to displacement, especially communities of color and low-income communities.
- Address housing affordability and focus on the cost of both market-rate and public housing, given the relationship between price increases and displacement.
- Address the supply of housing to ensure that it meets current demand, anticipates future demand, and remains of good quality and resilience.
- Ensure policy is sustainable and scalable to last for extended periods of time, scales to meet increased pressures, and is replicated to address new challenges.
Read the report: “Localized Anti-Displacement Policies: Ways To Combat the Effects of Gentrification and Lack of Affordable Housing” by Justin Dorazio
For more information or to speak with an expert, please contact Julia Cusick at email@example.com.