Idea of the Day: The Senate’s Bipartisan Immigration Bill Is Worthy of America
For the past several months, four Senate Democrats—Chuck Schumer (NY), Dick Durbin (IL), Bob Menendez (NJ), and Michael Bennet (CO)—have worked with four Senate Republicans—John McCain (AZ), Lindsay Graham (SC), Marco Rubio (FL), and Jeff Flake (AZ)—to develop a proposal to repair our nation’s failing immigration system. The product of the bipartisan “Gang of 8” negotiations is a bill titled “Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013,” filed in the Senate early this morning.
While it is far from perfect, this historic bipartisan compromise will go far in establishing an immigration policy worthy of our heritage and fit for the 21st century. Here are the top 10 ways that the Senate’s comprehensive immigration bill fixes our nation’s badly broken immigration system.
- It restores core American values.
- It raises the wage floor for all workers.
- It preserves family unity.
- It promotes full American incorporation.
- It protects DREAMers and farmworkers.
- It levels the playing field for all employers.
- It boosts economic growth.
- It modernizes our immigration system.
- It enhances national security.
- It strengthens border security.
For more on this topic, please see:
- Top 10 Ways the Senate’s Immigration Reform Bill Will Fix Our Broken System by Marshall Fitz, Ann Garcia, and Philip E. Wolgin
To speak with our experts on this topic, please contact:
Print: Liz Bartolomeo (poverty, health care)
202.481.8151 or email@example.com
Print: Tom Caiazza (foreign policy, energy and environment, LGBT issues, gun-violence prevention)
202.481.7141 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print: Allison Preiss (economy, education)
202.478.6331 or email@example.com
Print: Tanya Arditi (immigration, Progress 2050, race issues, demographics, criminal justice, Legal Progress)
202.741.6258 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print: Chelsea Kiene (women's issues, TalkPoverty.org, faith)
202.478.5328 or email@example.com
Print: Benton Strong (Center for American Progress Action Fund)
202.481.8142 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish-language and ethnic media: Jennifer Molina
202.796.9706 or email@example.com
TV: Rachel Rosen
202.483.2675 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Radio: Sally Tucker
202.481.8103 or email@example.com