American Progress, Moveon.org Launch Breakthrough Documentary, Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War
Internet-Only Distribution, November 2003
Read a transcript of Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War
A new, provocative documentary produced and directed by award winning filmmaker Robert Greenwald and sponsored by MoveOn.org and The Center for American Progress will reveal the distortion of intelligence by the Bush Administration which lead to the first pre-emptive war in the history of the United States.
The film has extensive and never before seen interviews with over 20 experts including former Ambassador Joe Wilson, former head of the CIA, Stansfield Turner, CIA operative Robert Baer, weapons inspector David Albright, the former U.S. Diplomat to Greece, John Brady Kiesling, who resigned over the war, former anti-terrorism expert Rand Beers and more insiders at the CIA, the Pentagon, the foreign service and several weapons inspection teams. The information is hard hitting and uncensored.
Almost 3 million people will be informed of the film concurrently through screenings and an unprecedented non-profit online coalition:
- High profile screenings were hosted in Washington D.C. by the Center for American Progress and writer/comedian Al Franken (11/3), New York by George Soros (11/4), at Harvard by Tom Hayden (12/04), San Francisco by Alternet (11/25). Additional screenings were held throughout the country.
- On the Internet, MoveOn.org, the Center for American Progress, The Nation Institute, Allternet, Buzzflash and Working Assets alerted their readerships and members about the film, which can be purchased on www.truthuncovered.com for viewing.
Additional interviewed experts include:
- Milt Bearden, CIA’s Soviet/Eastern European division as the Soviet Union was coming undone. He was the CIA station chief in Pakistan and was responsible for that agency’s covert action program in support of the Afghan resistance to the Soviet-supported government. Bearden recently co-authored the book, Main Enemy: the inside story of the CIA’s final showdown with the KGB.
- Philip Coyle, assistant secretary of defense and director of operational test and evaluation at the Pentagon from 1994 to 2001. He is currently a senior adviser to the Center for Defense Information in Washington, D.C.
- Mel Goodman, professor of International Security at the National War College and a Senior Fellow at the Center for International Policy. From 1966-1986 he was a senior CIA soviet analyst.
- Colonel Mary Ann Wright, Former Ambassador to Mongolia who resigned on the eve of the war with Iraq. Ms. Wright was a diplomat for fifteen years and the Deputy Chief of Mission in the U.S. Embassies in Sierra Leone, Micronesia, and Afghanistan as part of the rebuilding team after the recent war. She has also had assignments in Somalia, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Grenada and Nicaragua.
The film is directed and produced by Robert Greenwald, Executive Producer of “Unprecedented: the story of the 2000 Florida election scandal” and the founder with Mike Farrell (activist, actor, star of MASH and Providence ) of “ARTISTS UNITED TO WIN WITHOUT WAR.” Greenwald’s films have garnered 25 Emmy nominations, four Cable ACE Award nominations, two Golden Globe nominations, the Peabody Award, the Robert Johnson Award,and eight Awards of Excellence from the Film Advisory Board. In November 2002, Robert received the AFI Producer of the Year Award.
Learn more about The Truth Uncovered at the film’s Web site: www.truthuncovered.com