STATEMENT: Donald Trump Jr.’s Emails Show that Trump Campaign Knew Russian Government’s Intention to Help the President Win
Washington, D.C. — Today, President Donald Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr., released a chain of emails related to a meeting with a Russian lawyer in June 2016. Liz Kennedy, director of democracy and government reform at the Center for American Progress, released the following statement:
When Donald Trump Jr., Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, and Jared Kushner met with a Russian lawyer, the Trump campaign knew that the Russian government intended to help now-President Trump win the election. This is a betrayal of the country. The evidence demonstrates an unlawful attempt to undermine our elections in collusion with a foreign government. Efforts to obtain election-related assistance from foreign nationals are illegal under the Federal Election Campaign Act. The American people shouldn’t stand for it, and Congress and law enforcement should act quickly to determine exactly what happened and take all necessary steps to hold people accountable and protect our democracy from foreign interference.
CAP experts are available to speak on this topic. To coordinate, please contact Tanya Arditi at email@example.com.
- Trump’s Conflicts of Interest in Russia by John Norris and Carolyn Kenney
- INTERACTIVE MAP: Trump’s Conflicts of Interest by Carolyn Kenney and John Norris
- Top 10 Risks and Remedies for Trump’s Conflicts of Interest by Liz Kennedy and Danielle Root
- Drain the Swamp: Conflicts of Interest, Lobbying, and Corruption Solutions to Restore Trust in Government that Works for Americans by Liz Kennedy
- A Threat to U.S. Democracy: Congress Must Investigate Allegations of Russian Hacks by Ken Gude
- Trump at 100 Days: Case Studies of Trump’s Self-Serving, Special Interest Government by Liz Kennedy and Danielle Root
- Trump’s Dangerous, Unprecedented, and Unconstitutional Conflicts of Interest by Liz Kennedy
- Russia’s 5th Column by Ken Gude
- War by Other Means: Russian Active Measures and the Weaponization of Information by Max Bergmann and Carolyn Kenney
- Thinking CAP Podcast: No Fuzz … Comey Calls Trump a Liar by Igor Volsky
- Time to Act on Russia Sanctions by Max Bergmann and Vikram Singh