RELEASE: In Letter to President Biden, CAP Outlines Executive Order To Strengthen Community Colleges
Washington, D.C. — Today, the Center for American Progress sent a letter to President Joe Biden urging him to take executive action to support the more than 1,000 community colleges across the country. Such action would build upon the investments already made through the American Rescue Plan and the fiscal year 2022 appropriations process. With greater assistance, community colleges can live up to their promise as engines of opportunity and help sustain the country’s post-pandemic economic recovery.
“Community colleges play an important role in providing access to postsecondary and job-training opportunities for students, workers, and their families,” said Jared Bass, senior director for Higher Education at CAP. “An executive order would strengthen this role and improve access to educational and economic opportunities for communities across the United States.”
The letter lists five key elements that should be included in the executive order:
- Establish a White House initiative supporting community colleges.
- Provide technical assistance and targeted outreach to community colleges, which could help them overcome obstacles in the federal procurement and grant-making processes.
- Encourage partnerships between the federal government, state and local governments, corporations, and other higher education institutions to build relationships between industry and community colleges.
- Bolster the federal government’s recruitment activities on community college campuses.
- Establish a week to recognize and highlight the benefits and contributions of community colleges.
Click here to read the letter.
- “The $78 Billion Community College Funding Shortfall” by Victoria Yuen
- “Tapping Local Support To Strengthen Community Colleges” by Marcella Bombardieri
For more information on this topic or to speak with an expert, please contact Tricia Woodcome at firstname.lastname@example.org.