As we approach Memorial Day, we are honored to commemorate the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives in service to our country. This 139th Memorial Day, we remember the many thousands of brave soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coastguardsmen who have paid the highest price fighting for the good of their country. In the last few years, thousands have lost their lives fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Today, close to 200,000 thousand men and women are serving their country in Iraq and Afghanistan. We hope and pray for their safe return. We also appreciate the service of the more than one million other active duty, Guard and Reservists who are protecting our interests around the world.
On this day, we honor our fallen servicemen and women’s commitment to our country and the countless sacrifices those still serving continue to make on our behalf. We at the Center for American Progress commemorate these men and women and wish to express our gratitude to them and the families they have left behind for their eternal sacrifice.
Below is a list of organizations dedicated to helping the men and women of our armed forces and their families.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars: http://www.vfw.org
- The American Legion: http://www.legion.org/index.php
- The Navy League: http://www.navyleague.org/
- Air Force Association: http://www.afa.org/
- Association for the U.S. Army: http://www.afa.org/
- Mercy Corps: http://www.mercycorps.org/iraq/
- Hero Miles: http://www.heromiles.org/