*** NOTE: This event will take place in New York, NY. ***
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Affordable Care Act is the most far-reaching effort to date to reduce health care costs while improving quality and expanding access—the so-called “triple aim.” Yet the effect of health care costs on state and federal budgets remains a concern. Many recent proposals would simply shift federal spending to individuals, businesses, and states—which would fail to solve the problem while rationing care for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries.
At the event, a panel of health care experts will discuss alternative strategies. Dr. Nirav R. Shah will discuss Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Medicaid reforms, which achieved more than $4 billion in savings in one year while improving quality of care and increasing enrollment by 154,000 people. Dr. Herbert Pardes will compare and contrast different cost containment strategies and their impacts on hospitals and health care providers. Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel and Maura Calsyn will provide a federal perspective and discuss the Center’s Senior Protection Plan in anticipation of the looming “fiscal cliff.” The Senior Protection Plan is the Center’s contribution to the debate over entitlement reform and federal health care savings. It would produce federal savings of about $385 billion over ten years and includes a number of reforms to bend the cost curve over the long term.
Please join us as we discuss strategies to rein in health care costs, lead a discussion of the issues, and answer your questions.
- Raj Goyle, Senior Advisor, Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation
- Nirav R. Shah, M.D., M.P.H., Commissioner, New York State Department of Health
- Herbert Pardes, M.D., Executive Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Ezekiel Emanuel, M.D., Ph.D., Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress; Vice Provost of Global Initiatives, University of Pennsylvania
- Maura Calsyn, Associate Director, Health Policy, Center for American Progress
December 13, 2012, 9:00am – 10:00am
Breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m.
The 8th Floor
17 West 17th St
New York, NY10011
RSVP for this event
For additional information, please contact Katie Peters at email@example.com or 202.741.6285.