ADVISORY: New Report – Millions of U.S. Workers Stand to Gain from Green Industries
WASHINGTON (May 30, 2008) – Workers at every skill level will be in high demand and enjoy greater job security in key industries essential to building a clean-energy economy in America and fighting global warming, according to a new report released today by a coalition of conservation and labor groups.
The report also helps define “green jobs” noting that hundreds of thousands of workers in the U.S. already possess the vast majority of skills and occupations necessary to reduce global warming and make the shift to a clean energy economy.
The report was authored by Robert Pollin and Jeanette Wicks-Lim of the Department of Economics and Political Economy Research Institute (PERI) of the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and commissioned by Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). It is being released in cooperation with the Green Jobs for America Campaign, a partnership of the Sierra Club, Blue Green Alliance, United Steelworkers, NRDC and with the Center for American Progress and Green for All.
WHAT: National telebriefing to launch Job Opportunities for the Green Economy report
Dial-in number: 1-866-682-6100; ID: Green Jobs
WHEN: Tuesday, June 3, 1 p.m. EST
· Bob Pollin, Department of Economics and Political Economy Research Institute (PERI), of the University of Massachusetts-Amherst
· Dan Lashof, Climate Center Director, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
· Carl Pope, Executive Director, Sierra Club
· Marco Trbovich, Assistant to Steelworkers’ president Leo Gerard
· Van Jones, Founder and President of Green for All
· Bracken Hendricks, Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress