Rapid Response Creative Producer/Senior Rapid Response Creative Producer, Digital Advocacy
Director of Design, Digital Advocacy
Staff reporting to this position:
Advocacy and Outreach
Exempt, full time
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Rapid Response Creative Producer or a Senior Rapid Response Creative Producer to join its growing Digital Advocacy team. The team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies and values. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment where they must multitask, set priorities, and quickly produce engaging content. Political acumen, sensitivity to the complexities of policy issues, and the ability to engage with communications and policy experts are necessary for this position.
The Rapid Response Creative Producer or Senior Rapid Response Creative Producer will join a creative team with a mission to develop innovative and compelling content that helps build the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates. This person will support the Digital Advocacy team by creating and optimizing rapid-response graphics, memes, and social copy across all platforms. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and American Progress is looking for someone who will be excited by the challenge of producing engaging, timely social content that helps advance the organization’s goals and meet target audiences where they are in terms of tone, substance, and platform.
This individual will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
This is a full-time position funded through the end of 2024, with the opportunity for extensions.
- Work with the creative and engagement teams to quickly develop and produce graphics and social copy that advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Pitch and write scripts for social graphics with direction from senior Digital Advocacy team members and the Director of Design.
- Use and produce graphics and memes to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Identify meaningful rapid-response opportunities and produce timely, engaging content to drive strategic messaging priorities across a variety of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Threads, TikTok, and more.
- Work closely with the engagement and design teams to ensure that content is optimized for the platforms and audiences that the organization is trying to reach.
- Stay up to date on the latest visual, cultural, and algorithmic trends in social media.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- At least three years of professional experience in social media or content creation—ideally at a nonprofit, news, or political organization—for the Rapid Response Creative Producer position, and at least five years of experience for the Senior Rapid Response Creative Producer position.
- Experience producing and deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A strong understanding of internet and meme culture and the ability to apply this understanding to the team’s work.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Canva is a must. Experience with Adobe Illustrator and the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- A strong understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative mindset with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The minimum salary for the Rapid Response Creative Producer position is $61,000, and the minimum salary for the Senior Rapid Response Creative Producer position is $68,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.