CAP’s Leadership Institute goal is to increase the participation of progressive people of color among the thinkers, shapers, and planners of policy at every level of government, nonprofit organizations, and groups that influence public policy.
We will assist Members by exposing them to contacts and networks within the progressive policy world, including grassroots organizations, media, and government.
The Leadership Institute will begin October 13, 2016, and continue through May 19, 2017. Sessions will be held on a monthly basis. Program dates will be made available before the program starts.
Coursework and curricula
The Institute will present a program of engagement for members that includes seminars, policy organization observation, visits to policy and media hubs, networking events, and dinner discussions.
Leadership Institute applicants should be highly motivated individuals seeking to expand their skills, perspectives, and networks to impact progressive social change. We seek individuals in the early stages of their careers—less than five years of work experience—who show promise in developing progressive public policies. Successful applicants will have a demonstrated interest in filling the gaps that exist between traditional public policies and communities of color. All members must have at least three years of experience in policy or public service fields. If currently employed, applicants should secure written support from a supervisor affirming their participation in the program’s activities. It’s highly preferable that members live in the Washington, D.C., area or be capable of commuting to the area for monthly meetings during the program period.
- Membership application form (PDF)
- Personal statement: No more than two pages indicating the reason(s) you are applying for this Membership, what you hope to gain from the experience, your background in the policy arena, and your goals related to working in the field of policy planning.
- Two (2) current recommendation letters: Letters should speak to your relevant background and skills.
- There is no monetary compensation or stipend associated with this institute. All chosen participants must be able to attend all Leadership Institute Sessions.
- The application deadline has been extended to September 14, 2016.