Senior Manager, Media Relations
Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Manager of Media Relations in the Communications department. The Senior Manager has three distinct portfolios of work supporting American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
This hire will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
About 50 percent of the Senior Manager’s time will be spent helping American Progress experts reach targeted audiences through opinion content. They will handle the editing, pitching, and placement of all expert-authored op-eds and other items for external placement. The Senior Manager will develop relationships with opinion editors and help generate strategic short- and long-term ideas for opinion content.
About 25 percent of the Senior Manager’s time will be spent working with the Education department, Digital Strategy team, and Government Affairs team, as well as with colleagues on the Press team, to develop and implement media plans for the Education department’s initiatives.
The remaining 25 percent of the Senior Manager’s time will be spent assisting in the production of the Center for American Progress Action’s flagship podcast, “The Tent.” Specifically, they will participate in long- and short-term planning for the podcast and serve as the primary point of contact for guest interview bookings. The Senior Manager will also serve as the backup producer for the podcast and will be called on to help record and edit episodes when the lead producer is unavailable.
- Edit, pitch, and secure placement for all externally placed content authored by American Progress experts, including op-eds, long-form essays, and letters to the editor.
- Develop and implement media plans for the organization’s education policy work and coordinate with other functional teams, including Digital Strategy and Government Affairs, to develop overall outreach plans for this work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into daily news and an ever-changing news cycle, including pitching reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Lead booking for the organization’s podcast, “The Tent,” and serve as backup producer when the lead producer is unavailable, assisting with audio editing, scripting, and other duties.
- On occasion, the Senior Manager may assist with drafting op-eds.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of experience in communications, media relations, government, nonprofit work, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, a desire and willingness to stay on top of the daily news cycle, and an eye for great content.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of key stakeholders and thought leaders in progressive policy and politics.
- Possession of good news and editorial judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to detail.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Cision, the AP Stylebook, and Adobe Audition or other audio software is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. This position is represented by IFTPE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $68,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.