Senior Human Resources Generalist
Vice President, Human Resources
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 4
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
The Senior Human Resources Generalist is responsible for completing a variety of tasks to support the daily operations of the Human Resources team. They provide generalist expertise, advice, and counsel in areas including recruiting, compensation, benefits, labor relations, employment law, health and safety, workers’ compensation, organizational development, performance management, onboarding, training, and relocation.
The role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Employee relations and training:
- Communicate policies pertaining to Human Resources to employees.
- Identify employee, manager, and/or organization issues that require policy attention or review from a regulatory and/or compliance perspective.
- Oversee and facilitate employee orientation.
- Oversee and facilitate employee compliance training.
- Administer counseling services to employees.
- Participate in recruitment, onboarding, and offboarding processes.
- Work with the Vice President of Human Resources to assist in the design and implementation of the overall recruitment strategy.
- Support hiring managers throughout the recruitment process.
- Assist with the administration of the American Progress Internship program.
- Compensation and benefits:
- Assist with responding to employees on basic benefits questions.
- Assist with ad-hoc requests, such as compiling materials requested for an audit.
- Assist in the planning of open enrollment and end-of-year tasks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- At least five years of experience in human resources.
- A SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR certification is preferred.
- Experience administering an HRIS, preferably Paycom.
- Excellent cooperation skills and team orientation and flexibility is required.
- Highly skilled in knowledge of U.S. labor and employment laws.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $61,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.