Prospect Research Manager
Vice President, Development
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Prospect Research Manager to join the Development department. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and able to effectively manage multiple priority projects in a fast-paced environment. The Prospect Research Manager will work at the direction of the Vice President of Development and in close collaboration with the Major Gifts Officer and Director of Major Gifts in the Development department to help shape a robust individual fundraising program that is centered around American Progress’ institutional priorities and designed to strategically grow the Individual Giving team’s pipeline of supporters over the next several years. This individual will research prospects, stay abreast of the philanthropic landscape, help develop briefings, and manage and implement prospect identification and pipeline development. The Prospect Research Manager will act as a strategic thought partner to the Vice President of Development in metric and goal development.
The Individual Giving unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization.
The Prospect Research Manager will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
This work will include connecting the department’s policy efforts with the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Develop strategy for proactive research that will guide donor-centric and data-driven decision-making related to prospects and donors.
- Respond to reactive research requests on behalf of the Individual Giving team and Development department leadership.
- Identify, rate, and assign individual prospects in support of fundraising goals and objectives.
- Provide prospect research to fundraisers who primarily work with major $5,000+ prospects.
- Use research tools to analyze individual wealth indicators, including salary, stock, real estate, and other assets, to determine overall financial capacity, wealth ratings, and solicitation potential.
- Prepare and regularly maintain thorough, accurate, and timely profiles on individuals.
- Manage biographical records utilizing methods such as daily news screenings, reviewing push technology/alerts, and donors lists to identify new individual, corporate, and foundation prospects and monitor current prospects.
- Manage research request queue and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Provide strategic thought partnership to the Vice President of Development and the Deputy Chief Development Officer that includes prospect strategies as well as analysis and reporting related to major and megaphilanthropic donors.
- Manage updates to individual donor portfolios and prospect assignments within the CRM database.
- Work closely with the Development Operations team to manage and execute the policies and procedures around prospect pipeline management and activity.
- Develop processes for and lead the Development department’s new gift acceptance policy, including donor vetting across all units.
- Lead a moves management system, including establishing baselines and metrics for movement and activity.
Research and projects:
- Participate in ongoing professional development activities as relevant to maintain and enhance skills and abilities and stay abreast of current prospect management trends and research techniques.
- Develop best practices in prospect research and management in order to recommend ways to create efficiencies.
- Participate in quarterly portfolio reviews with front-line fundraisers to ensure effective moves management, accuracy of projections, and data integrity for Development department and organizational leadership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least six years of professional experience, including at least three years of experience in prospect research, library science, information management, or analytics.
- Experience using a CRM database, iWave, WealthEngine, LexisNexis, and/or other prospect research software.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and donor databases is preferable. Salesforce, Smartsheet, SharePoint, and Power BI experience is a plus.
- A high level of written communication and organizational skills as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to follow ethical standards and utilize discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and the ability to translate that commitment into compelling donor communications.
- Commitment to the department’s values of being progressive, donor-centric, and entrepreneurial; demonstrating integrity; making decisions driven by data; and fostering a culture of mutual respect.
- Knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with progressive issues, causes, and organizations.
- Excellent organizational, research, and written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate and orchestrate next steps.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Familiarity with the basic tenets of fundraising and nonprofit management.
- Comfortable working with basic financial data.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize, and follow through on plans.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask competing priorities.
- Comfortable and experienced with time-sensitive deadlines and goal setting.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.