Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, Immigration Policy
Senior Director, Immigration Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Rights and Justice
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $60,000/$68,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst on the Immigration Policy team in its Rights and Justice department. American Progress is committed to fixing the broken U.S. immigration system, including by winning a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants and increasing opportunities for legal migration. American Progress works to defend, protect, and expand protections for vulnerable immigrants; rebuild and reform the refugee and asylum systems; improve the administration of immigration policies and practices by the federal government; and build a more fair, humane, and workable immigration system.
The Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will split their time among research; writing; policy analysis; and external outreach to strengthen American Progress’ research and advocacy agenda by building relationships with external stakeholders, including allied organizations, Congress, and federal government agencies.
The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but changing the country. They will join a committed group of colleagues with extensive research expertise to strengthen American Progress’ immigration policy and advocacy work in support of American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Act as a liaison and cultivate relationships with partner organizations, Congress, and federal agencies in support of immigration priorities.
- Research and write policy analyses—including reports, issue briefs, articles, and memoranda—to reach a variety of stakeholders to achieve outcomes sought.
- Manage communication, collaborate with other policy teams, and represent American Progress’ at meetings with stakeholders to build coalitions around specific policy issues and legislative campaigns, including through outreach, meeting facilitation, mobilization, and conflict resolution.
- Present to colleagues, coalition partners, and decision-makers on key immigration research and policy ideas.
- Collaborate with colleagues across American Progress to advance immigration policy goals and strategies and ensure alignment with organizationwide efforts.
- Assist in devising and executing rollout plans for immigration products and other materials, such as reports, issue briefs, factsheets, talking points, videos, campaign strategies, and key messaging to reach targeted audiences and maximize ability to achieve American Progress’ sought-after outcomes.
- Serve as an external spokesperson for American Progress’ immigration agenda to the media and present key research and policy ideas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; an advanced degree is a plus for the Senior Policy Analyst role.
- This is not an entry-level position. At least two to four years of related experience is preferred for the Policy Analyst position; three to five years of related experience for the Senior Policy Analyst position is preferred, which could include work at another research-focused organization, in strategic advocacy, or in government.
- Knowledge and experiential expertise working on immigration issues are required.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking and experience working with Congress and/or federal agencies are strongly preferred.
- Excellent skills in analysis, research, presentation, and written and oral communication are required.
- Ability to work well as part of a committed and collaborative team.
- Ability to proactively identify and absorb key policy issues relating to immigration and work collaboratively with others to develop policy solutions; familiarity with federal legislative processes and administrative agencies.
- Ability to build strong, open, and collaborative working relationships among leadership, peers, and support teams within and outside of the organization.
- Ability to lead projects and/or initiatives to successful completion.
- Ability to draft effective written products in multiple formats, such as op-eds, talking points, memoranda, and social media.
- Ability to multitask and set priorities under deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality.
- Self‐starter, pragmatic, highly organized, entrepreneurial, and creative thinker.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Record of effective immigration policy research, advocacy, and organizing work is a plus.
- Established relationships within the progressive movement, Congress, and the executive branch are a plus.
- Experience with external affairs and communications is a plus.
- Spanish language or other language competence is a plus.
- Quantitative skills are a plus.
Candidates who believe they would perform well in this position and are excited to work on American Progress’ Immigration Policy team are encouraged to apply even if they do not possess every listed qualification.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $60,000, and the Senior Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed in for in-office work. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.