Events AV Specialist
Vice President, Outreach and Special Events
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $61,000–$70,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress seeks an Events AV Specialist to assist the Events team with producing high-quality, captivating, and informative events. The Events AV Specialist will support the technical production of American Progress’ hybrid—both in-person and virtual—events and will manage the technical capabilities of the American Progress Events Center and associated spaces. The Events AV Specialist will interact with internal and external stakeholders and must be able to work under pressure and multitask effectively. Hands-on experience in hybrid event production is required.
- Support the Events team with technical production of virtual and in-person public and private events.
- Manage and maintain all audiovisual (AV) equipment in the American Progress Events Center, American Progress conference rooms, radio, and TV studios.
- Operate and maintain event production equipment including audio consoles, video switchers, pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) cameras, and wireless microphones; troubleshoot equipment problems before, during, and after events; and maintain appropriate records and inventory of said equipment.
- Help advise and train internal and external stakeholders on technical capabilities for virtual and in-person events in American Progress event spaces and conference rooms.
- Instruct users in the basic operation of equipment.
- Assist in cohesive coordination of internal team movements by liaising with tech, video, communications, and policy teams, and provide technical guidance as it relates to virtual and in-person event production.
- Troubleshoot and manage technical issues during events and provide feedback for prevention.
- Assist in planning in-person, virtual and hybrid events as necessary.
- Assist in planning technical uses of all American Progress conference rooms and event spaces.
- Keep up to date on industry best practices and suggest improvements as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Three to five years of professional experience, preferably in the AV management of a conference center; in event technology, television production, technical theater; or in a related field.
- Strong understanding of in-person and virtual event audio, video, and lighting technology.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and problem-solve under pressure.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical topics to a variety of internal and external clients.
- A commitment to quality and an eye for detail when it comes to event production.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds as part of event setups and breakdowns.
- Solid understanding of virtual event platforms such as Zoom, Hopin, Vimeo, and others and virtual event production.
- Experience using Crestron-based systems is a plus.
- Experience working with nonprofit, political advance, and 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- While the vast majority of American Progress events happen within normal business hours, the ability to work outside those hours with advanced notice may be necessary.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The budget for this position is $70,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.