(Léalo en español)
Last updated: September 2021
Acceptance of terms
About the Center and purpose of AmericanProgress.org
The Center for American Progress is an independent nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. Our aim is not just to change the conversation, but to change the country.
As a tax-exempt organization, the Center is prohibited from supporting attempts to influence the outcome of any election for public office. Accordingly, with AmericanProgress.org, the Center seeks to provide a forum to discuss policy—not to advance the interests of any particular political party or candidate for office.
The Center’s proprietary rights and reuse policy
You acknowledge and agree that the information and materials presented on or through AmericanProgress.org will remain the property of the Center and its licensors or providers and are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other proprietary rights and related laws, rules, and regulations. The materials produced by or for the Center (including photographs, graphics, video, and audio content) are protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. All individual articles, content, and other elements comprising this compilation and produced by or for the Center are also copyrighted works. You agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any materials produced by or for the Center.
The trademarks, service marks, logos, and trade names displayed on AmericanProgress.org (collectively the “Marks”) are the registered and unregistered trademarks of the Center, the Center’s licensors and suppliers, and others. All Marks on AmericanProgress.org not owned by the Center are the property of their respective owners. The Marks owned by the Center, whether registered or unregistered, may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not the Center’s.
(Léalo en español)
1. In general
You may copy, reprint, publish, reproduce, or otherwise display materials (excluding Associated Press and Getty assets) from the Center for American Progress on the condition that you attribute those materials to the Center for American Progress and the authors of this material and provide a link to the website of the Center for American Progress (center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site). Specifically, any article or materials that you reprint or otherwise reproduce must be displayed with its byline, if applicable, under one of the following headings:
“This material [article] was published by the Center for American Progress.” (online)
“This material [article] was created by the Center for American Progress (center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site).” (print)
B. Copyright protection
The materials produced by or for the Center for American Progress (including, but not limited to, text, photographs, graphics, video, and audio content) are protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. All individual articles, content, and other elements comprising this compilation and produced by or for the Center for American Progress are also copyrighted works. You must abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any materials produced by or for the Center for American Progress.
C. Limit on use
Except as expressly permitted above, you may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, enter into a database, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any material produced by or for the Center for American Progress.
2. Editorial changes not permitted
You may not make any editorial changes to articles or materials without first receiving express permission from the Center for American Progress. This provision does not restrict excerpting portions of content in a manner that does not alter the editorial intent.
3. Revocation in place of breach
If any of the terms of this agreement are breached, the Center for American Progress reserves the right to withdraw your license to republish our material. In this situation, you must take immediate steps to remove our material from all current and past communications.
AmericanProgress.org provides links to other websites and resources. Because the Center has no control over these sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that the Center does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. The Center is providing these links to you only as a convenience. The Center has the right but not the obligation to block links from or to AmericanProgress.org at any time.
Claims of copyright infringement
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials hosted by the Center infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed or access to it be blocked. Notices and counternotices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA; see http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counternotices with respect to AmericanProgress.org should be sent to:
Gypsy Moore, General Counsel
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW
Washington D.C., 20005
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
AmericanProgress.org is controlled and operated by the Center from its principal office in the District of Columbia, United States of America, and is not intended to subject the Center to the laws or jurisdiction of any other state, country, or territory. Those who choose to access AmericanProgress.org do so on their own initiative and at their own risk and are solely responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations.
(Léalo en español)
The Center for American Progress (“CAP”) is a District of Columbia nonprofit corporation and is operated as a public charity. It has received official IRS recognition of its tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Our federal ID number is 30-0126510. Donations to CAP are tax deductible and may be disclosed to the IRS. The Center for American Progress Action Fund (“CAP Action”) is a nonpartisan, 501(c)(4) District of Columbia nonprofit corporation dedicated to achieving progress through action. Donations to CAP Action are not tax deductible and may also be disclosed to the IRS.
As required by law, our IRS financial disclosures are always provided to anyone requesting a copy. A copy of CAP’s and CAP Action’s latest financial report may be obtained by writing to Center for American Progress or Center for American Progress Action Fund, 1333 H St., NW, Suite 100E, Washington, D.C., 20005 or by calling 202.682.1611.
Additionally, certain States require us to advise you that a copy of our financial report is available from them.
If you are a resident of the following states, you may obtain information directly by contacting:
- Colorado: Colorado residents may obtain copies of registration and financial documents from the office of the Secretary of State, (303) 894-2680, http://www.sos.state.co.us/.
- FLORIDA: A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF CAP OR CAP ACTION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING 1-800-435-7352, TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE, OR VIA THE INTERNET AT 800HELPFLA.COM. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. CAP’s registration number in Florida is CH 20092 and CAP Action’s is CH 20155.
- Georgia: A full and fair description of the programs of CAP and CAP Action and our financial statement summary are available upon request at the office indicated above.
- Maryland: Copies of documents and information submitted by CAP or CAP Action are available for the cost of copies and postage from the Secretary of State, Statehouse, Annapolis, MD 21401, 1-410-974-5534.
- Michigan: CAP MISC 35294.
- Mississippi: The official registration and financial information of CAP and CAP Action may be obtained from the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office by calling 1-888-236-6167. Registration by the Secretary of State does not imply endorsement by the Secretary of State.
- New Jersey: INFORMATION FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL CONCERNING THIS CHARITABLE SOLICITATION AND THE PERCENTAGE OF CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED BY THE CHARITY DURING THE LAST REPORTING PERIOD THAT WERE DEDICATED TO THE CHARITABLE PURPOSE MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY BY CALLING (973) 504-6215 AND IS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/charfrm.htm. REGISTRATION WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT.
- New York: New York residents may obtain a copy of CAP’s and CAP Action’s annual report by writing to the Office of the Attorney General, Department of Law, Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.
- North Carolina: FINANCIAL INFORMATION ABOUT CAP and CAP ACTION AND COPIES OF THEIR LICENSES ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE STATE LICENSING BRANCH AT 1-888-830-4989 (WITHIN NORTH CAROLINA) or (919) 807-2214 (OUTSIDE OF NORTH CAROLINA). THE LICENSE IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT BY THE STATE.
- Pennsylvania: The official registration and financial information of CAP and CAP Action may be obtained from Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free within the state 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.
- Virginia: A financial statement for the most recent fiscal year is available upon request from the State Office of Consumer Affairs, in the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, P.O. Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23218
- Washington: You may obtain additional financial disclosure information by contacting the Office of the Secretary of State, State of Washington, Olympia, WA 98504-0422; 1-800-332-4483 or 1-800-332-GIVE.
- West Virginia: West Virginia residents may obtain a summary of the registration and financial documents from the Secretary of State, State Capital, Charleston, WV 25305. Registration does not imply endorsement.
AMERICANPROGRESS.ORG IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE AND BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF AMERICANPROGRESS.ORG AND ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS THEREOF. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE CENTER DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO AMERICANPROGRESS.ORG.
Limitation of liability
NEITHER THE CENTER NOR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR CONSULTANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR OTHER DAMAGES UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHER THEORY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO AMERICANPROGRESS.ORG AND/OR MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREON, ANY LINKED SITE, OR ANY CONTENT OR SERVICE AVAILABLE THROUGH AMERICANPROGRESS.ORG. YOUR SOLE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SITE, CONTENT, SERVICES, OR ANY LINKED SITE IS TO STOP YOUR USE OF IT.