You are invited to a symposium celebrating the second anniversary of President Obama’s White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI). UCLA will release a special issue of the AAPI Nexus Journal entitled, "Forging the Future: The Role of New Research, Data, and Policies for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders" to celebrate the second anniversary of the establishment of the White House Initiative which was created on October 14, 2009, when President Barack Obama signed Executive Order 13515: Increasing the Participation of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Federal Programs.
The special issue features research originally presented at a WHIAAPI convening on research and data collection in December 2010. The policy briefs in the journal address the following five sectors: Civil Rights, Economic Development (including sustainable neighborhoods), Education, Health, and Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders. Through the generous support and commitment to AAPI communities of our co-sponsors, complimentary copies will be available.
- Neera Tanden, Chief Operating Officer, Center for American Progress
- Representative Judy Chu, (D- CA)
- Assemblymember Mike Eng, (D-CA)
- Kiran Ahuja, Executive Director, White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) (moderator)
- Secretary Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education
Panel 1 Discussion: Role of New Research, Data, and Policies for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders:
- Shirley Hune, AAPI Nexus Journal Guest Editor/Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, Education Dept
- Marjorie Kagawa-Singer, AAPI Nexus Journal Senior Editor/Professor, UCLA Public Health Dept
- Alek Sripipatana, Public Health Analyst, Health Resources and Services Administration
- Tarry Hum, Associate Professor, CUNY Queens College and Graduate Center (moderator)
Panel 2 Discussion: Forging Research and Data into Action:
- Rashida Dorsey, Data Policy Analyst, Office of Science and Data Policy, HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation
- Paul Ong, Professor UCLA School of Public Affairs/CUNY Asian and Asian American Research Institute
- Tommy Hwang, Chair, Asian American Government Exectives Network (AAGEN)
- Doua Thor, White House Initiative on Asian American Pacific Islanders Commissioner (moderator)
- Chris Lu, Assistant to the President; White House Cabinet Secretary
October 28, 2011, 9:00am – 2:00pm
For more information, contact Laura Pereyra at email@example.com or 202.741.6258.
Center for American Progress 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor Washington, DC 20005 Map & Directions
Nearest Metro: Blue/Orange Line to McPherson Square or Red Line to Metro Center