ADVISORY: NATIONAL CLEAN ENERGY SUMMIT 4.0 TAKES CENTER STAGE AUGUST 30
Contact: Anne Shoup
WHAT: The National Clean Energy Summit 4.0: The Future of Energy will be held on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at Aria Resort and Casino at CityCenter in Las Vegas, Nevada. Co-sponsored by the Center for American Progress, the Clean Energy Project, MGM Resorts International, Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) and University of Nevada-Las Vegas, or UNLV, this year’s summit will focus on America’s clean energy future. In its fourth year, The National Clean Energy Summit will once again bring together veteran business executives, energy policy innovators, entrepreneurs, investors, and senior public officials from both parties, along with citizens and students, to discuss the future of our nation’s energy in an effort to help speed adoption of more family friendly energy policies, make our nation more competitive in the global clean energy economy, and enhance our national security.
The National Clean Energy Summit 4.0 will feature the following keynote addresses, discussions and speeches:
Keynote addresses: Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu, and U.S. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus.
Western Clean Energy Efforts: Potential for regional clean energy collaboration discussion with Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval, California Gov. Jerry Brown, Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire, and John Podesta, President and CEO of Center for American Progress.
The Future of Energy: Presentations by Jesse Berst, managing director of Global Smart Energy Publishers; Roger Platt, senior vice president of Global Policy & Law of the U.S. Green Building Council; Jim Motavalli, transportation journalist; Chandra Brown, vice president of Oregon Iron Works; and Jim Murren, chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International. This portion will be moderated by Rose McKinney James, managing principal at Energy Works LLC.
Achieving Energy Security and Independence: Panel discussion with Kate Gordon, Vice President for Energy Policy at the Center for American Progress; Dorothy Robyn, deputy under secretary of defense; Jon Wellinghoff, chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; and Dr. Gary Loveman, President and CEO of Caesars Entertainment. This panel will be moderated by Cathy Zoi, partner at SilverLake Kraftwerk.
Nevada’s Clean Energy Economy: Speech by Michael Yackira, president and CEO of NV Energy.
Good Business, Clean Energy: Speech by Dr. Yusuo Wang, chairman of ENN Group with introduction by Jim Rogers chairman of the board, president and CEO of Duke Energy.
To recap and conclude the day’s discussions, Reid and Podesta will host a news conference at 5:30 p.m.
WHO: Co-sponsor speakers
- Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV)
- John Podesta, President and CEO, Center For American Progress
- Jim Murren, Chairman and CEO, MGM Resorts International
- Kate Gordon, Vice President for Energy Policy, Center for American Progress
- Neal Smatresk, President, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Speakers and panel participants:
- Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States
- Steven Chu, U.S. Energy Secretary
- Ray Mabus, U.S. Navy Secretary
- Brian Sandoval, Nevada Governor
- Jerry Brown, California Governor
- Christine Gregoire, Washington Governor
- Jon Wellinghoff, Chairman, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Dorothy Robyn, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense
- Dr. Yusuo Wang, Chairman, ENN Group
- Jim Rogers, Chairman, President and CEO, Duke Energy
- Cathy Zoi, Partner, SilverLake Kraftwerk
- Rose McKinney James, Managing Principal, Energy Works LLC
- Roger Platt, Senior Vice President of Global Policy & Law, U.S. Green Building Council
- Dr. Gary Loveman, President and CEO, Caesars Entertainment Corporation
- Michael Yackira, President and CEO, NV Energy
- Chandra Brown, Vice President, Oregon Iron Works
- Jesse Berst, Managing Director, Global Smart Energy Publishers
- Jim Motavalli, Transportation journalist
WHEN: National Clean Energy Summit 4.0
Tue. Aug. 30, 2011 at 9 a.m. PT
Media check-in begins at 7:30 a.m. PT
All media must be in place by 8:30 a.m. PT
Closing news conference begins at 5:30 p.m. PT
WHERE: Aria Resort and Casino at CityCenter Convention Center 3730 Las Vegas Boulevard South Las Vegas, NV 89159.
MORE: For more information and for a detailed agenda, please visit www.cleanenergysummit.org.
MEDIA: Media should contact Wendy Zamaripa, 702-737-3100 or WZamaripa@kirvindoak.com to request media credentials or to schedule one-on-one interviews. For any radio row inquiries, please contact Anne Shoup, 202.481.1746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
To speak with our experts on this topic, please contact:
Print: Allison Preiss (economy, education, poverty)
202.478.6331 or email@example.com
Print: Tom Caiazza (foreign policy, health care, energy and environment, LGBT issues, gun-violence prevention)
202.481.7141 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print: Chelsea Kiene (women's issues, Legal Progress, Half in Ten Education Fund)
202.478.5328 or email@example.com
Spanish-language and ethnic media: Tanya Arditi (immigration, race and ethnicity)
202.741.6258 or firstname.lastname@example.org
TV: Rachel Rosen
202.483.2675 or email@example.com
Radio: Chelsea Kiene
202.478.5328 or firstname.lastname@example.org