Special Events Coordinator
Vice President, Outreach and Special Events
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 2
Minimum compensation: $46,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Events Coordinator in the Communications department. The Special Events Coordinator will work with our talented and dynamic Events team to plan and execute American Progress’ events (virtual, hybrid, and in-person), coordinate between departments, maintain event calendars, and perform other duties related to organizing and hosting small- and large-scale events.
The Special Events Coordinator will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
They will join a dynamic team of colleagues who support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Lead planning and execution of small-scale events and assist with medium and larger events, both in-person and on virtual events platforms.
- Work interdepartmentally with American Progress staff, vendors, and the public.
- Coordinate catering, equipment, technical, and logistical needs for events.
- Write and prepare web-based event invitations and other work-related correspondence.
- Maintain American Progress’ events calendar.
- Prepare and process invoices and financial records, coordinating event budget records and projections.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- One to two years of event planning experience preferred.
- Familiarity with virtual event platforms (e.g., Zoom Webinars) is a plus.
- Ability to handle audio, video, lighting, and live-streaming technologies preferred.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, tight deadlines, and beyond normal business hours.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational, public relations, and time management skills required.
- Comfort interacting with media personnel.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, HTML, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and content management systems.
- Experience working with nonprofit, political advocacy, and 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $46,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.