Social Media Design Associate/Graphic Designer, Advocacy
Director of Design
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $50,000/$56,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Social Media Design Associate or Social Media Graphic Designer to join a growing creative team with the Advocacy department. The Advocacy department's mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies and values. The Design Associate/Graphic Designer will support the in-house creative team with graphic design for social, email, and websites, as well as fulfill rapid-response design requests.
American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling graphic content with an emphasis on designing for social media. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and the team is seeking someone who can help create shareable, digestible content that breaks through the clutter and grabs peoples attention. A strong candidate for this role will be passionate about progressive politics and have a strong background in design principles and technical knowledge.
This role will be driven by American Progress mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Social Media Design Associate/Graphic Designer will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
This is a full-time position funded through October 2022.
- Work with the rest of the creative team and broader department to pitch, develop, and produce graphics and design products that advance the organizations strategic priorities.
- Create scripts for graphics with direction from senior staff on the Digital team and the Design Director.
- Use graphics, data visualizations, and GIF animation to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Work closely with the broader Digital and Communications teams to ensure that content is optimized for the platforms and audiences American Progress is trying to reach.
- Coordinate with the Story Bank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Maintain a creative archive that catalogs and categorizes social graphics, email wrappers and templates, video stills, and performance metrics.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in graphic design for social and email.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to three years of professional experience working in graphic design for the Design Associate position, or three to five years for the Graphic Designer position.
- Ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Excel. Experience with After Effects is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Social Media Design Associate position has a starting salary of $50,000, and the Social Media Graphic Designer position has a starting salary of $56,000. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.