Senior Staff Accountant
Vice President, Finance
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 7
Minimum compensation: $92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
The Senior Staff Accountant will be primarily responsible for maintaining revenue and accounts receivable (AR) systems, supervising payroll processing for approximately 300 employees, maintaining support schedules for balance sheet accounts, assisting the annual audit process, supporting the preparation of the annual tax forms, and completing other duties as assigned.
The Senior Staff Accountant reports to the Vice President of Finance and supports the Finance team in providing financial statements and reports. The role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Maintain revenue and AR systems for contracts and grants.
- Provide contract and grant schedules.
- Prepare financial reports for grant reporting.
- Supervise payroll processing in Paycom for approximately 300 employees and reconcile data among timekeeping, payroll, benefits, and the general ledger system.
- Prepare detailed balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Adjust journal entries to reconcile general ledgers.
- Support monthly closes.
- Organize detailed accounting support for annual audits.
- Draft tax returns and filings.
- Assist staff on the Finance team with special projects and research as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business with an emphasis in accounting, or equivalent experience, is required.
- Certified public accountant (CPA) license or current CPA candidate is preferred, but not required.
- At least three years of accounting experience at a nonprofit organization is preferred.
- Experience with grant accounting is preferred.
- Experience with fixed asset accounting is a plus.
- Unanet accounting system experience is a plus.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to create systems that improve efficiency and internal controls.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated, and team-oriented, with a strong sense of integrity.
- Enjoys analytical work and processes involving many people and issues.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining a cooperative and collaborative spirit in a fast-paced work environment.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $92,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.