Senior Manager, State and Local Government Affairs
Director, State and Local Government Affairs
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: 68,000
American Progress is seeking a Senior Manager of State and Local Government Affairs. This position will focus its work on helping grow and maintain American Progress’ relationships with state and local elected officials, their staffs, and key partners. The Government Affairs team as a whole works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The Senior Manager will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Work under the direction of the Director of State and Local Government Affairs to initiate, manage, and coordinate outreach to state and local elected officials and agencies.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by helping to develop and execute dissemination strategies to governors, other state and local elected officials, and staff.
- Represent American Progress with governors, other state and local elected officials, and staff, including establishing and maintaining relationships at all levels of government.
- Help advance American Progress’ policy priorities at the state and local legislative and executive levels by working with state and local governments, elected officials, and their staffs to drive and implement American Progress’ policy ideas into regulations and legislation.
- Help ensure that elected officials and state and local government staff consider American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues in which American Progress has expertise.
- Work with American Progress policy teams to develop strategies for helping state and local leaders with the implementation of progressive policies and initiatives that align with organization priorities.
- Identify and engage with new organizations and target groups of state and local officials for the purpose of advancing American Progress’ policy priorities.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ President and CEO and policy staff as expert witnesses for state and local hearings and meetings.
- Develop legislative and communications outreach strategies to further American Progress’ crosscutting priorities with external partners.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to state and local affairs and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Produce policy outreach materials, internal tracking sheets, and other necessary materials to carrying out job functions; help develop contact lists and internal databases to carefully track state and local work.
- Develop and help oversee state- and local-focused events that uplift and amplify initiatives of elected officials and advocates along with external partners.
- Manage strategic partnerships with organizations that advocate on behalf of state and local elected officials to further the team’s engagement and policy goals.
- Work with policy teams to integrate external campaign activities with the Center for American Progress Action Fund to maximize impact.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting other members of the Government Affairs team.
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; a master’s degree is a plus.
- A minimum of five years of experience working with the executive branch, a congressional office, and/or the office of a state or local elected official, or comparable experience. Experience with state and/or local elected officials is preferred.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with state and local branches of government and relevant organizations.
- Understanding of state and local policy issues.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Experience working with political campaigns is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.