Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships, Advocacy and Outreach
Vice President of Digital Communications
Staff reporting to this position: Director of Partnerships; Director of Content Strategy; Director of Analytics
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 8
Minimum compensation: $112,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships to join the organization’s Advocacy and Outreach department. Across a range of mediums and platforms, including talk radio, cable TV, Facebook, and YouTube, conservatives have spent decades building infrastructure for a right-wing echo chamber that ensures their policy message becomes the dominant media narrative for many Americans. With Americans facing this increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important for progressives to close this engagement gap and build the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the clutter and reach key audiences with their policy messaging, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund is committed to leading the way.
The Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships will lead this initiative by coordinating and amplifying key progressive voices; providing guidance and support to some of the most prominent progressive pages on social media; creating compelling unbranded custom policy content; and building up higher-engagement Facebook pages for the progressive movement’s media personalities in order to educate a wider audience on progressive policy.
The successful candidate for this role will lead a growing team that builds relationships across the progressive media landscape in order to improve the performance of progressive policy messaging online to help close the engagement gap and reach a wider audience. Strong candidates will have a keen understanding of how content is disseminated across digital platforms, strong familiarity with progressive influencers and accounts, and experience developing and executing multifaceted digital communications campaigns.
The Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships’ work will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
- Work with the Vice President of Digital Communications to develop a long-term strategy for the strategic partnerships program.
- Manage a growing team of strategists and team leads across partnerships, analytics, and content strategy.
- Build relationships with progressive operatives at advocacy organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, media personalities and companies, and other high-level partners, such as influencers and former candidates.
- Work with the Advocacy and Outreach department’s senior team to set the strategic direction for the department, including the development of new projects and priority campaigns.
- Work closely with staff across the department to ensure that a partnerships lens and distributed content strategy are integrated into all campaigns and efforts, as appropriate.
- Promote project priorities and work products among internal stakeholders, external partners, and funders.
- Keep CAP Action staff updated on news and events relevant to social media and the progressive space.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of the strategic partnerships program by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least 8 to 10 years of professional experience in strategic digital communications, social media, audience development, and/or digital content creation.
- Previously demonstrated team leadership skills and a high level of competency managing a multifunctional team.
- Established relationships across the progressive movement.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit.
- Strong understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Strong familiarity with social listening tools and analytics platforms such as CrowdTangle, NewsWhip, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, and others.
- Expert networking skills.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $120,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.