Senior Digital Designer, Production
Art Director, Production
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: $68,000
American Progress is seeking a versatile and creative Senior Digital Designer to join its Art team.
A strong candidate for this position will:
- Have a track record of managing a variety of large and small digital projects in a fast-paced environment with little or no direction.
- Understand how to elicit information about target audiences and goals and apply it to their work.
- Feel comfortable setting expectations and maintaining active channels of communication with project stakeholders and their supervisor.
- Recognize the importance and value of accessibility in digital design.
- Endorse American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
- Have a portfolio of modern digital design work that generates visual interest while accommodating practical considerations and constraints.
The Senior Digital Designer will work as part of a team that designs policy-driven publications, social media campaigns, interactive data visualizations, custom web figures and graphics, promotional materials, and event branding. Their responsibilities will include taking a leadership role in growing and expanding American Progress’ brand and design standards; designing content for social media channels; and designing newsletters and microsites as needed.
- Act as project lead and manage large and long-term projects.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other American Progress’ creative and operational teams, as well as external partners occasionally.
- Develop wireframes, page design mock-ups, and prototypes for landing pages, websites, and web-based interactives.
- Design and develop digital brands.
- Conceive and create assets for various social media accounts.
- Design email templates and develop digital newsletter properties.
- Design subbranding for campaigns and events.
- Attend weekly pitch meetings for design requests from policy and other teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related major, or equivalent work experience.
- Six to eight years of professional design experience, including at least four years of user experience and user interaction design.
- Strong portfolio of web and digital design work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative, versatile, and willing to learn and grow on the job.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to strategic challenges.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, XD, and Photoshop in a Mac OS environment, as well as with the Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with basic HTML and CSS.
- Familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 and willingness to adhere to compliance standards and best practices.
- Positive and respectful team player who is willing to mentor junior staff.
- Sound editorial and ethical
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Experience with statistics and data analysis, advanced data visualization, front-end development, and/or photo editing is preferred but not required.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.