Research Assistant, Inclusive Growth
Senior Director, Employment Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 2
Minimum compensation: $51,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant in the organization’s Inclusive Growth department who will work to advance economic policies through research, analysis, and writing. The Research Assistant will provide background research and writing support, initially on topics related to raising standards and building power for workers, such as the broad-based benefits of increasing unionization rates; ensuring government spending leads to good jobs for workers; and recommending federal, state, and local reforms to do so. They also will be assigned to work on a range of issues throughout the Inclusive Growth department. Their work will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
The Research Assistant will join a dynamic group of colleagues to assist in strengthening the entire department’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual who can support high-quality research, including qualitative and quantitative analysis, and assist in product development from initial scoping to final publication. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask and set priorities in a fast-paced environment. They will have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to details, deadlines, and follow-up communications. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are essential.
- Support research on key policy areas, including building power for workers and ensuring government spending leads to good jobs, as well as the broader policy issue areas of the Inclusive Growth department.
- Read and summarize existing research; review state and federal legislation and regulations; analyze datasets; and track and monitor policy developments.
- Help write and edit accessible op-eds, columns, issue briefs, reports, rapid-response statements, and memos.
- Assist in coalition and advocacy efforts, including by helping to coordinate public and private meetings and events.
- Support the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of products.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including administrative tasks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative research with senior staff oversight.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with high standards of accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to balance multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest and background knowledge about economic issues, including labor and employment issues.
- Training or experience in one or more commonly used statistical software packages—such as SAS, Stata, R, or Python—is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $51,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.