Project Coordinator/Project Associate, Structural Reform and Governance
Senior Vice President, Structural Reform and Governance
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Structural Reform and Governance
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $52,000/$55,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Project Coordinator or Project Associate in the Structural Reform and Governance department. The department includes the Democracy, Technology Policy, and Courts and Legal Policy teams and is dedicated to taking swift action to strengthen the guardrails of democracy in a way that equips it to serve as a force for good. The Coordinator or Associate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. This work will include connecting the department’s work with the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental justice
- Strengthening health
- Serve as the executive assistant to the department’s Senior Vice President by coordinating their schedule, developing briefing materials in advance of their appointments, and maintaining strict confidence on sensitive matters.
- Provide project management of department priorities and cross-team collaborations.
- Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and interests, conduct research and analysis in support of department priorities and assist in the drafting of reports.
- Track metrics associated with teamwide work plans and coordinate with staff to ensure timely completion and review of projects.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences for teams within the department.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage for the department’s work.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Research, draft, and/or edit letters, invitations, memos, products, and other documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to two years of professional experience providing administrative and/or research support to a senior leader for the Coordinator position; two to four years of experience for the Associate position.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Comfort working under pressure or tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.
- Self-starter who seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Responsibility and experience with effectively managing staff.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Data analytics skills.
- Experience with grassroots and/or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience staffing C-suite executives.
- Experience with leaders engaged in coalition work or government.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 union. The minimum salary for the Project Coordinator position is $52,000, and the minimum salary for the Project Associate position is $55,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.