Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, Women’s Initiative
Senior Director, Women’s Initiative
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $60,000/$68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst for the Women’s Initiative in its Inclusive Growth department. The Women’s Initiative works to advance policy proposals that further the rights and well-being of women and advance gender equity overall.
The Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will split their time among research, writing, policy analysis, and external outreach to strengthen American Progress’ research and advocacy agenda by building relationships with external stakeholders, including allied organizations, Congress, and federal government agencies. Candidates should expect to work on a wide range of topics, including reproductive health care.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the Women’s Initiative’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Research and write policy analyses—including reports, issue briefs, articles, and memoranda—to reach a variety of stakeholders in order to advance the Women’s Initiative’s priorities.
- Act as a liaison and cultivate relationships with partner organizations, Congress, and federal agencies in support of the team’s priorities.
- Manage communication, collaborate with other policy teams within American Progress, and represent American Progress at meetings with stakeholders to build coalitions around specific policy issues and legislative campaigns.
- Collaborate with colleagues across American Progress to advance women’s health and economic security in alignment with organizationwide efforts.
- Assist in devising and executing rollout plans for Women’s Initiative products and other materials, such as reports, issue briefs, factsheets, talking points, videos, campaign strategies, and key messaging to reach targeted audiences and maximize ability to achieve American Progress’ sought-after outcomes.
- Serve as an external spokesperson to the media and present key research and policy ideas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; an advanced degree is a plus for the Senior Policy Analyst role.
- This is not an entry-level position. At least three to five years of related experience is preferred for the Policy Analyst position, and at least five years of related experience is preferred for the Senior Policy Analyst position. This experience could include work at another research-focused organization or in strategic advocacy or government.
- Knowledge and experiential expertise working on issues related to health care and/or economic security matters.
- Commitment to advancing the rights and well-being of women and their families.
- Demonstrated proficiency in policy analysis, research, presentation, and written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of federal and state policymaking and experience working with legislators and/or administrative agencies are a significant asset.
- Ability to work well as part of a committed and collaborative team.
- Ability to build strong, open, and collaborative working relationships among leadership, peers, and support teams within and outside of the organization.
- Ability to lead projects and/or initiatives to successful completion.
- Ability to draft effective written products in multiple formats, such as op-eds, talking points, memoranda, and social media.
- Ability to multitask and set priorities under deadlines while maintaining a high quality of work.
- Self-starter, pragmatic, highly organized, entrepreneurial, and creative thinker.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Established relationships within the progressive movement—including with other critical stakeholders, Congress, and the executive branch—are a plus.
- Experience with external affairs and communications is a plus.
- Quantitative skills are a plus.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $60,000, and the Senior Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed in for in-office work. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.