Human Resources Assistant
Vice President, Human Resources
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 1
Minimum compensation: $48,000
American Progress is seeking a Human Resources Assistant to aid in all areas of the organization’s human resources. The Human Resources Assistant will assist with day-to-day operations and interact with employees regarding human resources-related activities and processes. American Progress is looking for candidates who demonstrate attention to detail and an ability to multitask. As a member of the Human Resources team, it is critical that candidates handle confidential matters with complete discretion.
- Perform administrative tasks to support the entire Human Resources team.
- Assist with scheduling and other support duties for senior members of the Human Resources team, including by assisting in the coordination and planning of meetings, drafting memos, and filing.
- Assist the Human Resources team with arranging benefits, data entry, recruitment and onboarding, training, and other projects.
- Post open positions and send offers and other correspondence to candidates and new hires.
- Serve as a liaison to the Events team and coordinate staff activities and events.
- When in the office, greet department visitors and provide them with excellent customer service.
- Assist employees and supervisors with basic interpretation of the Human Resources team’s policies and procedures.
- Assist with new employee orientations and onboarding.
- Ensure that the team’s bills are paid in a timely manner.
- Respond to reference checks and verification of employment status.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience with administrative or human resources work are required, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent oral communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize tasks and duties and communicate status or need for assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, track, and follow up continuously to ensure that all tasks and duties are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly resolve problems and take prompt action to overcome obstacles to completing work.
- Experience with human resource management systems, applicant tracking, and payroll systems.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy of all employee information.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $48,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.