Chief Financial Officer
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 1
Minimum compensation: $40,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Finance Assistant. The Finance Assistant will be exposed to an extremely wide range of responsibilities and opportunities. They will help to optimize the chief financial officer’s (CFO) work and that of the Finance team, driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but changing the country.”
They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Finance Assistant will be exposed to the most sensitive company information to which others may not be privy; discretion is essential. The right individual will be able to quickly break down and track incoming service requests to the CFO and Finance team, ensure timely tracking and response, and assist with closing the loop to help Finance deliver excellent service to internal and external customers. Over time, the Finance Assistant will recognize patterns in routine information requests and begin handling these for the team.
The successful candidate will have an impressive resume reflecting experience in a range of areas and capacities that positions them to take on a broad spectrum of different responsibilities. Experience with working on a fast-paced team or supporting senior managers is preferred.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the CFO and Finance team’s workflow and priorities by managing the schedule and anticipating steps ahead, including managing calendars, contact lists, phone calls, and email.
- Prepare for internal and external meetings. When needed, participate directly in meetings and follow up with relevant parties.
- Exercise judgment on priority of messages, meetings, CFO tasks, and incoming materials from principals and others.
- Act as liaison between the Administration, Technology, and Finance departments; anticipate needs from the Finance team.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Make travel arrangements, submit and track internal requests, and organize meetings and group events.
- File, proofread, and edit documents, charts, tables, and graphs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year of administrative experience.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to anticipate, prioritize, organize, and multitask.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is not represented by a union and has a starting salary of $40,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.