Senior Director and Team Leader, Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 1
Minimum compensation: $48,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Facilities Assistant on the Office Services team within the Administration department. This is a physically demanding and highly visible role that supports the effective monitoring and maintenance of American Progress’ physical space, equipment, fixtures, and appliances as well as provides front desk coverage in partnership with the Office Services team’s Administrative Associate. This position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service through a variety of facilities-related and front desk tasks that include but are not limited to: greeting and directing visitors and guests; answering and redirecting phone calls; setting up conference room technology; providing internal moves support; helping with furniture relocations and light furniture repairs; checking supply inventory stocking and maintenance; and facilitating mail processing and distribution. The schedule for this position is four eight-hour days in the office each week. As the organization’s hybrid work schedule evolves, candidates should anticipate that the schedule will change.
As part of the Office Services team, the Facilities Assistant is a critical team member who supports not only efforts requiring daily physical labor but also effective overall business operations. The successful candidate must be able to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be able to respond proactively and with an appropriate sense of urgency to facilities-related matters. The team is seeking a candidate who understands that effective maintenance of the organization’s office space truly matters and ideally who has experience in building maintenance or mail services.
This position is ideal for a candidate who supports American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all American, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
- Provide daily part-time front desk services in partnership with the Administrative Associate:
- Greet and announce guests in a professional, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Answer all incoming calls and ensure that phone calls are redirected quickly, accurately, and in accordance with established guidelines.
- Open and/or close the reception area.
- Maintain the reception area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Maintain and set up conference rooms and meeting spaces:
- Provide standard pre- and post-meeting make-ready services.
- Configure conference rooms by adding or removing tables, chairs, and other meeting materials and supplies as requested.
- Serve as backup to the Information Technology team for basic meeting space technical support.
- Support internal moves:
- Provide moving supplies.
- Provide moving assistance.
- Provide workspace make-ready and setup services:
- Set up new hire workstations and private offices.
- Conduct post-departure desk purges.
- Serve as backup for conducting facilities and building orientations for new hires.
- Maintain and monitor American Progress’ workspace, furniture, and fixtures:
- Coordinate with Office Services to ensure smooth facilities operations.
- Monitor and maintain lights and lighting fixtures.
- Monitor and maintain tool availability.
- Repair furniture as needed.
- Relocate furniture and amenities.
- Monitor and maintain operability of kitchen appliances and equipment:
- Track appliance warranty provisions and expiration dates.
- Coordinate repair and replacement of appliances and non-IT equipment.
- Educate staff on proper use and care of appliances and non-IT equipment.
- Monitor and maintain office and kitchen supply inventory:
- Stock and maintain inventory of standard office supplies on each floor and in mailroom.
- Stock and maintain inventory of standard kitchen supplies in each pantry on each floor.
- Monitor and provision heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) services and comfort levels:
- Monitor and maintain comfortable HVAC levels by request and observation.
- Effectively resolve HVAC issues and escalate ongoing issues to building engineers and department leadership appropriately.
- Submit requests for overtime HVAC requests via the building engineering online portal.
- Receive, process, and distribute mail and packages:
- Receive and deliver incoming faxes, mail pieces, and packages in a timely manner.
- Collect and process personal postage expenses.
- Coordinate courier and messaging services.
- Process outgoing mail.
- Collect and distribute newspapers and other publications.
- Execute general facilities operations:
- Support security efforts by activating and deactivating access cards and updating visitor and day-pass access card logs.
- Maintain orderly appearance of common areas and spaces.
- Address staff reports and requests concerning damages to equipment and the facility.
- Support emergency preparedness efforts.
- Serve as tertiary member of the Emergency Preparedness team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to two years of facilities management, building/office management, or mailroom experience.
- Capacity to be professional and poised with all levels of staff, politicians, dignitaries, and other high-profile guests.
- Mechanically inclined with capacity to use—and learn how to use—tools.
- Demonstrated reliability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to exercise good professional judgment.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $48,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.