Chief Operating Officer
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Executive Office
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 2
Minimum compensation: $51,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). This position is ideal for an entrepreneurial, well-organized, detail-oriented professional who has a keen interest in national politics and a commitment to advancing a progressive policy agenda.
The Executive Assistant serves as the primary assistant to the COO, managing their schedule, special projects, and administrative needs. The Executive Assistant collaborates with the Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology Services, Enterprise Applications, and Office Services teams, in addition to coordinating with other policy, communications, and executive teams at American Progress and assisting with logistics for meetings.
The Executive Office’s work is driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. American Progress focuses on building connectivity between national security and international policy issues and the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in working in operations and a chance to join an exciting and dynamic organization.
- Provide administrative support to the COO, including scheduling appointments and internal and external meetings.
- Coordinate and track planning documents across departments.
- Serve as primary point of contact on behalf of the COO for internal and external communication in a professional and responsive manner.
- Produce and maintain notes, briefing materials, calendars, and databases as needed.
- Maintain accurate written and electronic files for document retention, workflow, and other uses.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Assist with operational issues and manage administrative forms.
- Manage special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least one year of experience in administrative or operations support, scheduling or executive assistant role, or project management.
- Detail-oriented and good at multitasking.
- Effective communicator and problem solver.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and can work autonomously but knows when to ask for guidance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and organize.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $51,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.