Executive Vice President, Communications and Strategy
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 2
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Assistant. The Executive Assistant will support the Executive Vice President for Communications and Strategy with scheduling and administrative duties and support the broader Communications department with administrative tasks, media strategy, and research support as needed and as time allows. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom staff can rely to work independently and collaboratively to deliver high-quality support.
The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask and set priorities in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong verbal and written communications are a must, and basic knowledge of the ever-changing media landscape will aid this candidate in succeeding. Applicants should also be motivated to develop the skills needed to succeed as a communications professional.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but changing the country.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Provide administrative support for the Executive Vice President for Communications and Strategy, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos for media appearances, and other tasks as needed. These duties comprise a little more than half of this person’s time.
- Maintain the Press team’s product and event calendar and run the daily team meeting.
- Format, record, and distribute the organization’s daily media clips, including the archiving and analysis of coverage.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of the department’s interns (one in the fall semester, one in the spring semester, and one in the summer).
- Assist in coordinating press outreach strategies for the release of American Progress products and public events.
- Assist in coordinating logistics and prepare documents for media appearances for American Progress staff.
- Create, edit, and manage reporter and media contact lists in Cision, the media database service.
- Field media inquiries and monitor the organization’s email accounts for media inquiries.
- Process and submit the department’s financial authorization forms, travel authorization forms, and check requests.
- Schedule and organize meeting space for interdepartmental and intradepartmental meetings.
- Assist in compiling briefing materials for events, television, and speeches.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year of work experience in a customer service, media, or administrative support role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as oral and written communication skills, that allow one to interact professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff and external stakeholders.
- Interest in the Washington, D.C., and national political and media landscapes.
- Superb research and writing abilities to draft professional emails to staff and leadership.
- Self-starter who takes initiative, asks questions, and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the Executive Vice President, plan meetings, and prepare podcast materials.
- Ability to follow up on daily meetings and tasks, plan ahead, understand priorities, and deliver results on a daily basis.
- Ability to understand and adapt to constantly changing priorities and urgent requests.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Cision, WordPress, and/or Salesforce is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $52,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.