Events Video Producer
Video Director, Production
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $56,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a full-time Events Video Producer to join its growing creative team. American Progress hosts a diverse range of events with progressive leaders and policy experts that highlight bold, innovative ideas to address the nation’s most pressing problems. The Production team is looking for applicants who can envision and create compelling videos to amplify American Progress’ events for its broadcast and beyond.
A strong candidate for this role should have the technical skills to broadcast and live switch events. In collaboration with the Events team, the Events Video Producer will need the strategic perspective to produce, edit, and manage promotional material, in-program interstitials, and wrap-up/post-event videos. The ideal candidate will know how to optimize these videos for all digital platforms, with an emphasis on content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Events Video Producer will interact with internal and external stakeholders and must be able to work under pressure and multitask effectively.
With the public more overwhelmed by media than ever, the Production team is looking to bring on an Events Video Producer with a deep understanding of how to create, optimize, and organize video content that will break through the clutter and grab people’s attention.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
They will join a dynamic team of colleagues who support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Support the Events team with video production of virtual, hybrid, and in-person events.
- Operate production equipment including audio consoles, video switchers, PTZ cameras, and wireless microphones.
- Film sit-down interviews with a three-camera setup.
- Produce, script, edit, and publish videos around Events productions, including promotional material, in-program interstitials, post-event videos, and more.
- Optimize and version out American Progress’ Events video products for live broadcasting, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to maximize key performance indicators, including views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Help advise and train internal and external stakeholders on technical capabilities for virtual, hybrid, and in-person events.
- Instruct users in basic operation of equipment.
- Troubleshoot and manage technical issues during events and provide feedback to prevent issues.
- Assist in planning videos for in-person, hybrid, and virtual events, as necessary.
- Keep up to date on industry best practices and suggest improvements as necessary.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Two to five years of professional experience editing and producing video content for major production agencies or political, advocacy, or news organizations.
- Strong understanding of in-person, hybrid, and virtual event audio, video, and lighting technology.
- Extensive experience working in Premiere. Familiarity with After Effects, Photoshop, or Illustrator is a plus.
- Experience with filming interviews, cameras, and lighting setup.
- Outstanding project management skills and proficiency with Excel.
- Ability to visualize news content conceptually and creatively.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical topics to a variety of internal and external clients.
- An eye for detail.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to handle audio, video, lighting, and live-streaming technologies is preferred.
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure, tight deadlines, and beyond normal business hours.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
- Strong understanding of virtual event platforms such as Zoom, Hopin, and GoTo Webinar as well as virtual event production.
- Experience working with nonprofit, political advocacy, and 501(c)(3) and 501(c)4 organizations is a plus.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $56,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.