Email Marketing Specialist
Director, Email Marketing
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000
American Progress is seeking an Email Marketing Specialist to help promote progressive policies and ideas among targeted audiences. The Email Marketing Specialist will join the Digital Strategy team, which is responsible for marketing American Progress’ work to highly segmented audiences, including elected officials; national, state, and local advocates; policy organizations and think tanks; and more. The successful candidate will support a specific segment of American Progress’ email engagement efforts involving the Center for American Progress Action Fund. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a sister organization of the Center for American Progress and is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute and advocacy organization.
The ideal candidate is a team player who has experience in online communications and an interest in leveraging email to grow, educate, and engage audiences. American Progress is looking for someone who understands the technical and design aspects of email marketing as well as the use of email to reach different audiences effectively. This person must be a fast learner who is passionate about progressive values, has excellent attention to detail, and is skilled at managing multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment. They will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
In a cover letter, the applicant should describe their experience working in online communications, including which email marketing software, databases, or other tools they have used. They should also state the extent of their HTML abilities.
- Draft audience-appropriate summary text to market American Progress’ work and code emails in HTML based on templates—including image cropping if needed—for a variety of email types, including newsletters, event invitations, report releases, and more.
- Produce email-related landing pages for campaigns, such as advocacy forms, and assist in producing other digital marketing vehicles, including lightboxes and other email sign-up forms.
- Manage the email send process from start to finish, working with several teams to finalize content and oversee quality assurance and scheduling.
- Assist with audience segmentation for email sends.
- Manage scheduling and strategy of individual email programs within the overall American Progress email calendar—such as specific policy team newsletters—in collaboration with other email schedulers and stakeholders.
- Assist with keeping the email calendar up to date with current statuses.
- Collaborate closely with teammates to translate policy ideas into email marketing and maintain American Progress’ email production process.
- Conduct ongoing trainings of staff in the use of its email marketing platform, Engaging Networks, including crafting and maintaining the training program and materials.
- Maintain the Engaging Networks user community to foster peer-to-peer knowledge sharing, best practices, and inspiration.
- Monitor main American Progress reply inboxes, fulfill unsubscribe requests, and conduct other list maintenance tasks as needed.
- Work with the Manager of Digital Audience Retention and Engagement to train and support American Progress marketing platform users and maintain the internal marketing platform user community.
- Represent Digital Strategy in trainings and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four to six years of experience in online communications and email marketing, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Working knowledge of using HTML to produce emails, landing pages, and similar outputs based on designed and established templates.
- Experience working with an email marketing platform, such as Engaging Networks and Litmus.
- Experience with digital marketing metrics reporting, with particular emphasis on outreach effectiveness.
- Ability to craft messaging for different marketing needs, including report summaries, action campaigns, and fundraising.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Experience and skill in managing multiple tasks and projects—such as campaign launches, email newsletters, other sends on regular schedules, and event marketing—over a tight timeframe while producing high-quality results.
- Ability to think on their feet and make tricky judgment calls on a regular basis, such as scheduling email releases vis-à-vis events in the news cycle in collaboration with colleagues with a variety of expert perspectives.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including proofreading skills.
- Self-starter attitude and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to the values and ideals advanced by American Progress.
- Knowledge of email design best practices; CSS experience; knowledge of website analytics and digital marketing; experience with Salesforce or similar customer relation management software; Adobe Photoshop or other image editing experience; and familiarity with progressive public policy are not required but are a plus.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.