Director, Media Relations (Spanish Language)
Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: Constituency Media Manager
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 7
Minimum compensation: $92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Media Relations on its Press team. This role requires an individual who is professionally proficient in both Spanish and English. This person will serve as a senior member of the Communications department and will lead Spanish-language communications strategy for American Progress. This is a hybrid position located in Washington, D.C.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Director of Media Relations will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
This position will also supervise the Constituency Media Manager to broaden American Progress’ audience and reach Spanish-language, African American, Asian American and Pacific Islander, international, and other constituency media news outlets. The Director of Media Relations will help oversee all communications in Spanish, including American Progress’ CAP en Español website, @CAPespanol Twitter account, and @CAP_Acción Twitter account.
- Lead American Progress’ Spanish-language communications across platforms including press, the web, and social media, in coordination with the Digital Strategy, Advocacy, and Government Affairs teams.
- Serve as an “on-the-record” spokesperson for American Progress in Spanish-language media.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into the daily news and an ever-changing news cycle.
- Pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives in national, state, and local news outlets.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Constituency Media Manager to develop strategies to reach Spanish-language and other constituency media audiences.
- Translate English language materials into Spanish.
- Edit and proofread all communication materials in Spanish.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Native proficiency in Spanish and full professional proficiency in English is required.
- Five to seven years of experience in media and/or communications.
- “On-the-record” spokesperson experience.
- Knowledge of the Spanish-language and English-language media landscape is preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in Spanish and English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial spirit, with strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Nonprofit or political experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $110,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.