Digital Engagement Internship
Director, Digital Engagement
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Internship
Minimum compensation: $16.10 per hour
American Progress’ Advocacy and Outreach department has an opening for a fall intern on the Engagement subteam of the department’s Digital team. The Advocacy and Outreach department works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders.
To promote American Progress’ work, the Advocacy and Outreach department team distills complex ideas into digestible messages. The team uses traditional and digital media strategies to make sure that American Progress’ messages will reach leaders in Washington, advocates across the country, and everyday Americans.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” Interns will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Assist the Engagement subteam in rapid-response moments, including clipping, captioning, and distributing video to partners as needed.
- Working with the Engagement subteam, draft and develop copy for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Work to keep content tagging and group membership databases up to date.
- Assist the social media manager in community moderation and vetting for engagement programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.
- Interest in progressive policy, advocacy, and digital communications.
- Interest in how progressives can use social media to engage constituents.
- Avid user of social media; up to date on platform trends.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Ability to work under pressure or tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite tools.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $16.10 per hour. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays. Interns are expected to be available to work from and commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office at least two days per week. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.