Constituency Media Associate/Manager
Director, Media Relations (Spanish Language)
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $54,000/$60,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Constituency Media Associate or Manager on its Press team. This role requires an individual who is professionally proficient in both Spanish and English. This person will be responsible for maintaining relationships with and conducting daily outreach to constituency media, including Spanish-language, African American, Asian American and Pacific Islander, American Indian and Alaska Native, and international news outlets.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The Constituency Media Associate/Manager will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Constituency Media Associate/Manager will work closely with other members of the Press team to identify American Progress products and research of interest to constituency communities and will develop communications plans to disseminate the organization’s work to relevant news outlets and on social media.
The Constituency Media Associate/Manager will work with the Director of Media Relations (Spanish Language) to maintain the CAP en Español website and draft content for the @CAPespanol and @CAP_Acción Twitter accounts. Written translation responsibilities may include short materials such as press statements, op-eds, and social media posts.
- Serve as the primary contact for constituency media outreach.
- Write, translate, and pitch press releases to national, regional, and local press.
- Monitor daily print, online, and TV coverage in English and Spanish.
- Draft or translate op-eds for Spanish-language outlets, on occasion.
- Serve as a Spanish-language spokesperson for American Progress in print, radio, and TV across a variety of policy areas, as necessary.
- Work with Spanish-speaking American Progress experts to further develop the organization’s capacity to communicate with Spanish-language media.
- Stay up to date with the changing mainstream and constituency media landscape; maintain and update media contact lists.
- Develop innovative and creative media outreach ideas.
- Help recruit, assign tasks to, and supervise the Communications department’s constituency media intern.
- Oversee and maintain American Progress’ CAP en Español website and draft content for the @CAPEspanol and @CAP_Acción social media accounts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Full professional proficiency in both Spanish and English is required.
- Minimum of two to four years of professional work experience, preferably in communications or in an advocacy environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in Spanish and English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial spirit, with strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Nonprofit or political experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Constituency Media Associate position has a starting salary of $54,000, and the Constituency Media Manager position has a starting salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.