Communications Internship, Press
Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Internship
Minimum compensation: $16.10 per hour
American Progress has an opening for a fall intern with the Communication department’s Press team. The Press team pursues progressive change by connecting American Progress’ experts, ideas, events, and publications with the media and the public. The team works to develop and execute comprehensive and innovative communications strategies to get American Progress’ policy priorities the attention they deserve.
This role will be driven by the American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
This intern will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
To promote American Progress’ work, the Press team distills complex ideas into digestible messages and uses traditional and new media strategies that include writing press releases, advisories, and statements; pitching experts to TV, radio, print, online, and other media outlets; and promoting ideas through digital channels, including social media, to make sure that American Progress’ messages reach leaders in Washington, advocates across the country, and everyday people.
The selected candidate will learn many of the basic skills needed to become a communications professional at a progressive nonprofit. They will be involved in all core activities of the Press team and assigned day-to-day activities to help integrate them into the work. The intern will help monitor news stories, compile news clips, develop targeted press lists, assist with preparing experts for interviews, and identify new opportunities to promote American Progress’ policy work.
- Monitor news stories and assist with compiling daily news clips.
- Develop targeted press lists.
- Assist with preparing experts for interviews, such as developing briefing materials.
- Assist with drafting, and/or editing communications assets, including talking points, social media and website content, advisories, press releases, statements, op-eds, or other written materials.
- Develop a mock communications rollout plan for American Progress policy initiatives in collaboration with policy and other support teams, including Government Affairs, Digital Strategy, and Events.
- Provide research and advocacy support as needed.
- Assist with research, question drafting, and social media promotion of the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s podcast, “The Tent.”
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with different types of traditional and social media.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $16.10 per hour. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays. Interns are expected to be available to work from and commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office at least two days per week. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.