Communications Internship, Digital Strategy and Communications
Vice President, Digital Strategy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Internship
Minimum compensation: $16.10 per hour
American Progress has an opening for a fall intern on its Communication department’s Digital Strategy team. The Digital Strategy team collaborates with teams and individuals across the organization to increase American Progress’ reach, engagement, and impact in order to improve the lives of all Americans. Working with experts in policy, communications, government affairs, and development, the team helps amplify efforts through digital communications and technology to raise awareness of American Progress with strategic audiences and build relationships with progressive allies.
This intern will have the opportunity to work on all aspects of digital strategy and communications—including audience development, content strategy, technology development, and the many disciplines that fall in between—to learn many of the basic skills it takes to work at a progressive nonprofit. Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in the intersection of policy and digital communications.
The internship’s work will be focused on direct collaboration with and support of policy team initiatives—where American Progress moves from challenges to impact. These efforts include digital campaign conception and execution; analytics measurement and optimization; and knowledge management and sharing to ensure that the organization’s work continues improving over time.
Since the Digital Strategy team maintains a broad portfolio of diverse expertise, ideal candidates will come in many forms. The team does not expect candidates to be proficient in all qualifications, and tasks and responsibilities will be molded to individual strengths and interest areas according to organizational needs. The team will provide on-the-job training, so the intern is not expected to be proficient in all areas on day one.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The intern will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Support Digital Strategy team initiatives across audience development, content strategy, technology, and analytics, including but not limited to social media copy and campaigns; email marketing and landing pages; user experience design and definition; technology quality assurance; reporting; and more.
- Develop digital campaign plans for American Progress’ policy and brand initiatives in collaboration with policy and other functional teams, including Editorial, Video, Art, Government Affairs, Press, and Events.
- Maintain clear, centrally stored documentation of efforts to engender collaboration, learning, and ongoing optimization of Digital Strategy projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with a variety of digital communications channels in a professional setting, such as email, content publishing, social media, and/or common analytics tools for digital channels such as Google Analytics.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of common business and office software, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and/or their Google Suite analogs.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and values.
American Progress interns are paid at the Washington, D.C., minimum wage rate of $16.10 per hour. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. American Progress interns receive paid time off for federal holidays. Interns are expected to be available to work from and commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office at least two days per week. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.