Chief Financial Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Staff reporting to this position: Finance team
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to serve as the senior finance officer of two tax-exempt, mission-driven organizations: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, known together as American Progress. The CFO will serve as a member of the Executive team and a resource and ally across the organization, helping guide and implement the strategic vision and planning of American Progress.
This position will support the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Manage the day-to-day operations of a diverse Finance team, including fostering an environment of collaboration, personal investment, accountability, and knowledge sharing.
- Evaluate, optimize, and execute accounting and payroll practices for a complex, multientity operation to help encourage cross-department work.
- Deliver appropriate and regular reporting to senior leadership, the boards of directors, and key funders.
- Optimize and maintain a financial operating environment that manages and mitigates risk across American Progress through proactive and regular assessment and continuous improvement.
- Oversee development of project and grant budgets and status reports to grant managers and donors. Develop easy-to-use systems that foster seamless cross-team collaboration on projects.
- Oversee financial audits, tax, and other filings, ensuring appropriate accounting treatment.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and ensure adherence to short-term investment policy by working with and reporting to the governing boards regarding investment strategy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or a related field is required. A certified public accountant and related graduate degree are strongly preferred.
- Approximately 10 years of experience in a senior financial role. Significant nonprofit grant management experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with an organization with both a 501(c)(3) and a 501(c)(4) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in financial statement preparation and responsibility over financial reporting for an organization with an annual budget larger than $40 million.
- Experience with a range of high-end accounting software is desired; proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required.
- Familiarity with negotiating and understanding office and equipment leases and purchases.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.