Associate Director, Digital Campaigns
Senior Director, Content Strategy
Staff reporting to this position: Up to two staff members
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $77,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress seeks a highly motivated Associate Director of Digital Campaigns to effectively engage strategic audiences, including policymakers, advocates, experts, and more, to advance our content strategy; support the distribution of and engagement with policy ideas; and otherwise advance the organization’s mission.
The Associate Director serves as chief subject matter expert on the creation and execution of digital campaigns and will work ongoing with counterparts who offer expertise in social media, audience acquisition and engagement, digital fundraising, data strategy, analytics, and more. As part of the larger Digital Strategy team, this position will collaborate extensively with diverse communications, production, strategy, and policy teams across the organization to continually hone our campaign strategies and define and distribute best practices to grow and retain strategic audiences across digital channels, including websites, email, and social media, and contribute to digital strategy efforts across silos.
The ideal candidate would offer a combination of creative, technology, and marketing experience, along with proven success leading projects within policy change organizations. Likewise, candidates for this position should value the comradery that comes with being a part of a progressively minded and socially conscious organization such as American Progress.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action. The organization’s aim is to change not just the conversation but also the country. The Digital Strategy team at American Progress is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected resident thought leaders, policy professionals, and various functional groups in the organization in order to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to connect with our audiences.
- Manage and serve as team lead on assigned projects across diverse aspects of digital delivery and engagement including, but not limited to, traditional web, social media, and email.
- Collaborate closely with teams and stakeholders to translate policy ideas into digital communications, marketing, and engagement campaigns. Measure progress against them and adjust strategies and tactics accordingly. Document and share results and insights to guide best practices and team learning for future projects.
- Conduct audience research to better understand our key strategic audiences and engage them effectively.
- Lead and manage digital ad campaigns.
- Manage up to two direct reports on cross-team project teams, ensuring accountability for on-time delivery and clear communication.
- Resolve complex issues independently within program areas and organizational priorities.
- Represent the Digital Strategy team in trainings and meetings.
- Stay up to date on email marketing and digital engagement best practices; make changes to vehicles, practices, training, and processes accordingly; and communicate opportunities to colleagues.
- Serve as a digital liaison consulting with policy teams and departments, in collaboration with liaisons from the Press, Production, Advocacy, and Government Affairs teams, to craft team and departmentwide digital strategies aligned to team, department, and enterprise goals and connect stakeholders to the full capabilities of the Digital Strategy team.
- Align team efforts to meet goals and brand guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Six to eight years of experience in digital communications and marketing.
- Strong project management experience and proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities, including but not limited to outreach campaigns, email template creation and enhancements, and website executions.
- A broad range of experience working with digital marketing platforms, CMSs, social management and measurement tools, CRMs, and digital analytics packages—with expertise in at least one of the following: content strategy, social media, email marketing, or creative strategy.
- Excellent communication skills with both internal stakeholders and colleagues, as well as external strategically identified audiences.
- Strong organizational, leadership and decision-making abilities, including goal and projection setting, and a proven ability to navigate ambiguity and change.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Self-starter; able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to the values and ideals advanced by American Progress.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to center-for-american-progress.vipdev.lndo.site. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.