Administrative and Operations Assistant/Associate, National Security and International Policy
Senior Vice President, National Security and International Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: National Security and International Policy
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $51,000/54,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Administrative and Operations Assistant/Associate in the National Security and International Policy department. The department’s work is driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all through bold, progressive ideas and leadership that changes not only the conversation, but the country. American Progress focuses on building connectivity between national security and international policy issues and the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Serve as executive assistant to the Senior Vice President leading the department, including schedule coordination and maintaining strict confidence on sensitive matters.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences for team leads within the department.
- Develop and operationalize project management systems and processes to track workflows, collect metrics associated with teamwide and departmentwide work plans and impact goals, and manage collaboration within the department.
- Provide logistical support for department public events, conferences, and external meetings.
- Provide logistical support in the planning and execution of departmentwide meetings.
- Identify and maintain press coverage records and metrics across the department.
- Assist the Government Affairs team in organizing and maintaining relationships on Capitol Hill.
- Coordinate social media strategy across the department and manage relationship with the Digital Strategy team.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices, contracts, and other administrative forms across the department.
- Occasionally research, draft, and/or edit letters, invitations, memos, and other documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least two years of professional experience providing administrative support to a senior leader for the Assistant position and at least three years of experience for the Associate position. An associate degree in a related field may be used as a substitute for the required years of experience at the Assistant level, and a bachelor’s degree may be used for the Associate level.
- Strong organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.
- Self-starter who seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic equity.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The minimum salary for the Assistant is $51,000, and the minimum salary for the Associate is $54,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.