Testimony: Health Insurance Premiums Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
On May 20, 2013, Topher Spiro, Vice President for Health Policy, testified before the Committee on Energy & Commerce and the Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations on the premium impact of the Affordable Care Act.
Mr. Chairman, Ranking Member, and members of the Committee—thank you for the opportunity to testify today about the premium impact of the Affordable Care Act. My testimony will make five key points:
- Concern has focused on the premium impact for young adults. But young adults who now have non-employer coverage and higher incomes are a small fraction of the population.
- Recent studies by health insurance companies and actuaries affiliated with the insurance industry lack transparency, are self-serving, and omit key factors.
- These studies do not measure up when compared with actual rate filings and analyses by independent experts.
- Emerging evidence indicates that the Exchanges are working as intended—competition among plans and providers is already lowering premiums.
- Premiums should not be the exclusive focus of investigation. In the new, modernized market, consumers will get a lot more for their money.
Read more here.
This article was originally published in U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Energy & Commerce, Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations.
To speak with our experts on this topic, please contact:
Print: Liz Bartolomeo (poverty, health care)
202.481.8151 or email@example.com
Print: Tom Caiazza (foreign policy, energy and environment, LGBT issues, gun-violence prevention)
202.481.7141 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print: Allison Preiss (economy, education)
202.478.6331 or email@example.com
Print: Tanya Arditi (immigration, Progress 2050, race issues, demographics, criminal justice, Legal Progress)
202.741.6258 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print: Chelsea Kiene (women's issues, TalkPoverty.org, faith)
202.478.5328 or email@example.com
Print: Beatriz Lopez (Center for American Progress Action Fund)
202.741.6255 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish-language and ethnic media: Rafael Medina
202.478.5313 or email@example.com
TV: Rachel Rosen
202.483.2675 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Radio: Sally Tucker
202.481.8103 or email@example.com