Data Visualization Producer
Reports to: Art Director
Department: Art and Editorial
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress is looking for a creative and innovative Data Visualization Producer who understands and appreciates both the art and the science of translating numbers into graphics and interactives that are easy to understand and to use. The Data Visualization Producer will create dynamic and static media to visualize demographic data, numbers, trends, ideas, and comparative data in order to create compelling stories and help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments.The Data Visualization Producer will work as part of a team that publishes reports, infographics, web graphics, interactive media, and videos. However, the Data Visualization Producer will also have a significant amount of creative freedom to explore new ways of presenting data and the stories behind the data. This position will create infographics, graphs and charts, maps, calculators, data visualizations, and other interactive media in order to help communicate key information from American Progress’ reports and articles or to serve as stand alone products.
- Collaborate with policy teams to communicate ideas and goals by creating interactive and non-interactive data visualizations, including graphs and charts, graphics, calculators, infographics, maps, and explainers.
- Find and create tools to allow other staff to create their own infographics and interactive media more easily.
- Develop graphics for web and video.
- Collaborate with the Video team on projects to integrate video and interactive media.
- Work with the Editorial team to assist with other large-scale print design projects such as books, annual reports, and conference materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design, visual journalism, or a related field, or at least one year of professional design experience.
- Highly creative with excellent written and verbal communications skills and an attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Other skills that are preferred but not required:
- Familiarity with HTML5 graphics and rendering such as Raphael and D3.
- Experience with Tilemill.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud—including InDesign and Illustrator—in a Mac OS X environment.
- A journalism background.
- Web design experience, especially designing with web standards.
- A solid understanding of statistics.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.