Organizing Associate, Higher Ed Not Debt
Reports to: Campaign Manager, Higher Ed Not Debt
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Organizing Associate for the Higher Ed Not Debt campaign to assist with its nationwide organizing efforts. This position requires efficiently managing a large workflow of diverse projects. Applicants should enjoy detail-oriented work and troubleshooting and be able to adeptly build and manage organizing relationships across a broad coalition.
Now more than ever, a college degree is the ticket required for entry into the American middle class. Unfortunately, the skyrocketing cost of this ticket—and the resulting damage to access, equity, and post‐college wealth accumulation—is risking our nation’s future as a middle‐class nation. Higher Ed Not Debt is a new multiyear, nationwide campaign working to ensure that quality higher education is affordable and accessible to all without the burden of financial hardship.
The four core areas of the campaign are:
- Providing support to borrowers currently paying off the existing $1 trillion in debt.
- Addressing causes of declining affordability and quality, including changes to state funding and financial aid policies.
- Addressing the role of Wall Street and the growing financialization and privatization of higher education.
- Civic engagement and education debt.
- Drive and focus events and activities across a range of progressive organizations, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders. This may mean organizing a series of events or providing support to partner organizations that are organizing events or actions that further the goals of the campaign.
- Work with the Higher Ed Not Debt team and coalition to use digital tools to highlight, promote, and strengthen on-the-ground organizing and advocacy efforts.
- Assist with the development of supporting online materials, such as toolkits and event guides, to further organizing efforts nationwide.
- Assist the Campaign Manager in tracking and identifying opportunities to engage in the national conversation on education debt, as well as tracking the success of current work and tactics.
- Provide assistance, materials, and advice to individuals or organizations involved in organizing actions for Higher Ed Not Debt.
- Develop training materials and give trainings as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years or two cycles of professional organizing experience.
- A strong, entrepreneurial self-starter with the motivation to develop creative tactics to engage holders of education debt nationwide.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills, including experience managing or participating in coalition work.
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with nonprofit advocacy or campaigns.
- Commitment to Higher Ed Not Debt’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.