American Progress has an immediate opening for a Vice President for Economic Policy. The Vice President will have principal responsibility of day-to-day management and strategic direction for American Progress’ Economic Policy team. The team’s work is designed to shape the agenda around economic policy within the progressive movement, developing and furthering ideas that will build a more equitable economy to improve the lives of all people. The Economic Policy team covers fiscal, labor, competition, and infrastructure policies; macroeconomic research; workforce development; and other areas. The Vice President represents the Economic Policy team to other American Progress teams, as well as to American Progress’ senior leadership. The Vice President also serves as the principal point of contact and manages the team’s relationships with other organizations, especially those in the economic policy arena.
- Provide day-to-day management of the Economic Policy team, which includes senior fellows, directors, research staff, and assistants.
- Work with the Executive team and other senior American Progress officials to set the strategic direction for the Economic Policy team.
- Develop new economic policy ideas that can shape the progressive agenda.
- Maintain relationships between the Economic Policy team and other
American Progress teams, including the Executive, Government Affairs, Communications, Development, and Administrative departments.
- Play a leading role in fundraising in order to meet the Economic Policy team’s commitments and allow the team to take on new projects and programs.
- Represent American Progress’ Economic Policy team with the public, media, and other outside groups and individuals as necessary.
- Promote American Progress’ economic policy priorities and work products, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Assist team members in crafting and timing policy reports and rapid-response documents that are relevant to the broader economic policy debate.
- Work closely with other policy teams to find areas of overlap and define shared messages and policy strategies.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to economic policy debates in Congress and the administration and respond to requests for information from executive and other senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s or other postgraduate degree in economics, public policy, law, or another field related to economic policy is preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience working in a policy organization, legislative office, or other relevant field.
- Experience managing a team.
- Strong quantitative skills are a plus.
- Fundraising experience and existing relationships with funders are a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local governments.
- Understanding of economics and economic policies at the international, federal, state, and local levels, or a subset of these.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Strong commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.